In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Suing Big Pharma for Opioids?

Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
Since many people are addicted to opioids, there is a lawsuit to sue big pharma or specific opioid manufacturers for opioid addition.

I see this as a very bad thing. Not because opioid addiction is OK but because the blame is placed on the manufacturer of the product, not the prescriber or user.

If successful, I can foresee class action lawsuits against every firearm manufacturer for producing, advertising and selling their product not because it did exactly what it was designed to do but because the use caused injury and death to some.

/b]
The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:

Comments

• Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:
    Since many people are addicted to opioids, there is a lawsuit to sue big pharma or specific opioid manufacturers for opioid addition.

I see this as a very bad thing. Not because opioid addiction is OK but because the blame is placed on the manufacturer of the product, not the prescriber or user.

If successful, I can foresee class action lawsuits against every firearm manufacturer for producing, advertising and selling their product not because it did exactly what it was designed to do but because the use caused injury and death to some.

What next? The motor vehicle manufacturers? The natural gas/electricity producers? Where does it end?

Stupid people do stupid stuff and there is no cure for that.

/b]
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends if it was a defective product or not.

Also if they knew before hand their product was dangerous and did not disclose.

(cigarettes)
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I agree Quick. Suing the manufacturer for a product that's abused is a very slippery slope. If allowed, the libs will latch onto it in a heartbeat.

Darned auto correct!
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Opiods ate not inherently bad - it's the medical folk whom prescribe it fraudulently or incorrectly or outside of medical ethical and moral codes of conduct that are the problem.

I have intractable persistent high level pain that they rate in the 8-10 range on the smiley face / frowny face scale and could not function without opiods...

I am not happy about that - I do not enjoy the meds - I don't experience a buzz or euphoria or high when I take them. In fact they make me nauseous and dizzy and kill my appetite among other things - they interfere with my sleep cycle and outlook.

If you want to work or pursue the angle that the big pharma companies and doctors are driven by profit to systematically overprescribe opioid to those who don't need them - and keep refilling the scrips regardless of medical need with no real world observation or management and no plan to ween patients off the drug or find a solution to the underlying cause of the pain that's different...

These doctors whom have small storefront offices with little or no staff and equipment - whose only activity seems to be issuing reams of scrips for opiods - who literally have tractor trailer loads of opiods delivered are pure evil - they are no better then common corner drug dealers providing crack or crystal meth.

As much as we don't want to hear it - the non stop flow of illegal and illicit drugs into this country is driven by demand - if we did not have a system that allowed and maintained and supported and forgave massive numbers of life time habitual addicts there would be no market - and with no market and no profit source the product would become scarce.

Cigarettes and alcohol are huge revenue stream providers for manufacturers and for tax collectors (the state). They are only legal because they provide income and power not because of a belief in any inalienable rights or social contract.

They kill - they damage the fabric of society - they drain resources from the health care system...

But they are not inherently bad or evil. They are a tool by which the wealthy fleece weak.

Mike
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Suing the manufacturer is, IMO, ridiculous.

There are some distributors it appears who purposely and by policy ignored identified red flags, and I believe there is at least on criminal charge against a company officer who directed this.

There are also doctors who have been identified as being basically dealers, and no doubt there are some pharmacies that played fast and loose with peoples' liver. All of these individuals (those in the supply stream who knew what was going on) should be prosecuted in the same manner as any drug dealer who damages people.

That said, absent a fairly clear chain linking an employee of a manufacturer, the legal justification of going after a manufacturer or that employee seems a little bit weak.

Now with that said, the bottom line still remains the individual who uses the drug beyond what is necessary for pain management. Yes, these are addictive, but the one who takes the pill holds the vast majority, if not 100% of the responsibility for that action.

If the manufacture and sale of controlled item is legal, those that manufacture and sell it within the law should not have to face criminal or civial penalty.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,258 ******
    edited November -1
    I argue Quick. Suing the manufacturer for a product that's abused is a very slippery slope. If allowed, the libs will latch onto it in a heartbeat.

Well, um, it's kinda been them leading the charge in this respect.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No opioids..then what? Something else needs to be given..are they next?
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I may be mistaken but the suit as I understand it was going after the ones who should have and did know better but let profits override good sense.
    Employees let management know that several pharmacies were ordering WAY more than others and nothing was done. IF that is the case sue away.

Sort of like a Gun maker who knew his guns were being sold to the wrong people and turned their head in that case you are guilty if some jackwad uses a gun illegally suing the maker is Bad policy. But if I know I am selling my guns to a criminal that is just as bad.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:

/b]

That's the whole point.

However, the courts are stacked with activist DEMOCRATs. These are the same DEMOCRATs that deny personal responsibility in any form. Its only a matter of time before one of these lawsuits stick.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The crackdown has started; the feds made an arrest of a former drug company CEO, Laurence Doud III. It was in NY, the Rochester Drug Cooperative.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/drug-executive-laurence-doud-iii-arrested-opioids/story?id=62575543

Another case where Trump was able to pick up the ball dropped by Obama.

This appears to be a test case, & I would expect more to follow.

Neal
  • Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree Quick. Suing the manufacturer for a product that's abused is a very slippery slope. If allowed, the libs will latch onto it in a heartbeat.

Darned autocorrect got me! I fixed it!
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,258 ******
    edited November -1

Darned autocorrect got me! I fixed it!
    Ok well that still doesn't change the fact it's been the Libs leading the charge in suing manufacturers of products that are misused.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain