In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

My New Gunbroker Toy

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,240 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
toTQuQ9l.jpg

I bought this from Thad Dessecker of Ohio. I give Thad 5 gold stars. His GB name is muz-mastiff. It was advertised as "unfired" and he wasn't kidding.
What a beautiful rifle. The photo doesn't do it justice.

lZjOd6al.jpg
Thad advertised it at $475 and nobody else bid on it. I love this rifle.
The TC Hawken was the first muzzleloader I owned, I bought one in 1982 and did a lot of hunting in Georgia with this rifle. With the .490 patched round ball it is murder on whitetail deer, and hogs.

And, I lent my Hawken to my best friend Bud, and he kept it about a year and he didn't clean it and the barrel was ruined.
That is why, I don't lend out my rifles, or my extensive collection of hand tools, to any body.

Comments

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very Nice.

I have one a 54 cal flint gun and its was deadly on everything from Turkeys to Elk
    RLTW

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought it's identical twin a few years back off GB too.......love it, let me say they're still dangerous to Georgia deer :D been looking for a possibles bag but haven't found one yet that I like, been using an old G.I canvas "medics" bag and that thing is full of tools of the trade and what-nots, surprisingly it works very good ;). Noticed looking at your nipple area it indicates yours is a newer model than mine but everything else is the same.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,567 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nice most of the ones I have seen were not taken care of especially the bores
    I have 58 big bore a 54 a 50 cal and looking for a nice 45 cal all , Thompson center , I do not shoot them much but do like them
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,015 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I finally got a .50 Hawken. You can't go no better. Now, I have to learn to skin griz....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4NSa4riL_I
  • Options
    roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You get in the woods early with a primitive weapon in ga I believe
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice, mine is nearly that nice. I do have an unfired flintlock TC Hawken.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Junkballer I have a little trick for the Hawken that you might want to try. I noticed, way back when, that it was hard to hold the sights on a deer.
    Now, at the range, dark sights, white paper target, no problem.
    But, dark colored deer. Black rear sight. Black front sight. No contrast.

I got some bright white oil paint, and a little bitty paint brush. Tiny artist type brush. And I cleaned off that front sight real well with lighter fluid. And I put a single drop of white paint on the very top of the front sight.
    So it is real easy to nestle that front sight into the black rear sight. Having done that it is easy to register it on the dark deer.
    Also the white-topped front sight gathers light, gives you about 10 minutes more of shooting time in the evening.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Allen, speaking of tips, I fitted my percussion Hawken and my Hatfield with 209 primer nipples I got over on that place by the bay. A lot more fire and more water resistant.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Junkballer I have a little trick for the Hawken that you might want to try. I noticed, way back when, that it was hard to hold the sights on a deer.
    Now, at the range, dark sights, white paper target, no problem.
    But, dark colored deer. Black rear sight. Black front sight. No contrast.

I got some bright white oil paint, and a little bitty paint brush. Tiny artist type brush. And I cleaned off that front sight real well with lighter fluid. And I put a single drop of white paint on the very top of the front sight.
    So it is real easy to nestle that front sight into the black rear sight. Having done that it is easy to register it on the dark deer.
    Also the white-topped front sight gathers light, gives you about 10 minutes more of shooting time in the evening.

Allen, as one who never has really liked scopes I learned that practice years and years ago, works very well as you say, in fact most all my various type rifles sport that minor modification. I'll 2nd your tip as a good one ;)

• Options
    edited November -1
    Just went and pulled mine from the cabinet to check out the drum/nipple area and it turns out it's a CVA rifle :o , identical still, only difference I can see is mine has the drum the nipple screws into. It came with a CVA fitted sleeve for storage & transport.......despite being wrong earlier I'm still a proud papa :lol:...........have fun, that's what it's all about ;)

• Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You're gonna' poop when I tell what I got mine for.
    Seller had a starting of $220 and $45 to ship. Surprisingly, I was the only bidder.
    It's an early '70's, pre-quickload cap lock Hawken. The brass furniture isn't as shiny as yours and there's one tiny mar by the barrel wedge escutcheon.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    asphalt cowboy I am not surprised to hear of that price. Is yours a Thompson Center?

Mine was listed at $475 and nobody else bid. Interest in the old muzzleloaders is not what it used to be.
    Thompson Center is now out of business. Sad.
    I am looking at my new Hawken right now and damn, it is a beautiful rifle!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thompson Center is very much in business, I just bought a new .22 with 1 in 15 twist (instead of the usual 1 in 16). They are now owned by S&W and no longer make the venerable TC Hawken line, mostly modern rifles now.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,294 ******
    edited November -1
    Nice rifle ya got there.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    asphalt cowboy I am not surprised to hear of that price. Is yours a Thompson Center?

Mine was listed at $475 and nobody else bid. Interest in the old muzzleloaders is not what it used to be.
    Thompson Center is now out of business. Sad.
    I am looking at my new Hawken right now and damn, it is a beautiful rifle!

Yep, it's a TC. This is the third TC Hawken I've had. The first was a TC custom shop rifle that I lost in the house fire. The one I have now was bought to replace this one that I sold several years ago. (can thank my ex for that). It was an NOS kit rifle I picked up for $135 back in '96. No small amount of work went into that one.
    hV7xCQ8.jpg