In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Far to many shootings what would you do?

GilWilson1GilWilson1 Member Posts: 182
edited April 2019 in General Discussion
So I don't think anyone could disagree that we have too many shootings by deranged individuals.

How would you handle this if you were "in charge".

Curious, because while I think the 2nd was wisely implied to prevent citizens from becoming slaves I do think we should endeavor to explore some options to try and reduce these senseless acts.

What say you? Can we do anything to reduce the numbers? Is removing the gun free barriers going to help?

Comments

• Options
    tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of these people should be institutionalized....not just given a pill and sent on their way.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No sane and rational person does those things. That makes it a mental health issue, NOT a gun issue. We have next to no mental health institutions in this country any more, and far too many "politically correct" laws that require medical officials to put deranged people back on the streets - even if the institutions were there. That's it in a nut-case shell.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    GilWilson1 wrote:
    So I don't think anyone could disagree that we have too many shootings by deranged individuals.

Curious, because while I think the 2nd was wisely implied to prevent citizens from becoming slaves I do think we should endeavor to explore some options to try and reduce these senseless acts.

What say you? Can we do anything to reduce the numbers? Is removing the gun free barriers going to help?

If you are operating on the belief that nobody should ever die, you might try to save every life, I don't believe every life deserves saving. Some kill innocent lives and those innocent lives never get a chance to do good. Others abuse and detest the life they were given and are granted many chances to do good, never do, but still allowed the place the innocent never had a chance to occupy. Life is not precious to these morons.

When society at large allows this disregard for innocent, vulnerable, helpless, human life...
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    open more insane asylums nut houses
    no one wants to fund them or for that matter has the funding to meet all the frigging guidelines and medical support that required to baby sit the crazy people or take responsibility which includes all the lawsuits from the PC and liberals for not treating them well enough .
    same with prisoners
    Sheriff Joe had the best idea tent cities no frills good enough for military way too good for the nut jobs and criminals
    also bring back and have televise public hangings carried out with in a week of sentence . no more life sentences
  • Options
    HessianHessian Member Posts: 248
    edited April 2019
    In the short term, the only recourse you have is to defend yourself and yours. IMO things have been going downhill since Dr. Seuss and the false. flawed bill of goods he sold on child rearing. Things have been going downhill quicker since the newer generation of liberal child-rearing experts has expounded on his views, eventually taking them to the extreme.
    The long term solution is to teach ethics and morality from a very young age. Not the feel-good morality of the left, but a practical common sense morality. IMO they could take lessons from the Jews, a pragmatic common sense philosophy that builds on past experience. The lessons of the old rabbinic religious law - Halakhah is still applicable and Christian ethics aren't really very different. The progressives think they have all the answers, but the reality is there isn't a great deal of difference in society from the distant past and the present. The lessons learned from the past are still applicable.
    I talked with a Rabbi about morality, paraphrasing he said loose morals breed disease. One of the main reasons for encouraging fidelity. This was a few years before the AIDS epidemic. In effect, he saw it coming. Hey, I'm a Christian but I can recognize wisdom from any source when I hear it. Made sense to me. Just one example.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Sorry hit the quote button instead of the edit button. :(
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Insanity is doing the same old thing in the same old way and expecting different results.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As was said on another forum-
    1. Shoot the bad guy. Repeatedly if needed
    2. Quit making a freaking Rock Star out of the bad guy

The news media is helping feed this monster by giving that 15 minutes of fame to some * that seeks fame.

If you want a guarantee, go to WalMart, buy a toaster. That has a guarantee. Life does not. We will never be able to keep crazy/ evil people from doing crazy/ evil things. But you CAN stop them.

Go look up Bath School Disaster- where an * killed 38 kids and 6 adults, wounded another 58 by blowing up the school. Back in 1927.
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tomh. wrote:
    Some of these people should be institutionalized....not just given a pill and sent on their way.

This is exactly what needs to be done. We used to have a hospital in our town for the mentally ill. They closed it down because they said it was cruel to keep the mentally ill instutionalized.

Now we have them roaming all over town and it keeps police and fire busy dealing with them.
  • Options
    GilWilson1GilWilson1 Member Posts: 182
    edited November -1
    In no way was I implying we can prevent death, but just as we added seatbelts and air bags perhaps some mitigation is needed.

Since most of these shooters have a mental health history the suggestion of asylums certainly makes for a reasonable argument.

Not in anyway imply taking away guns from citizens, but maybe those who have shown issues in controlling their anger or impulses need to have less access to the tools. That or we stand with NOT INFRINGED in any fashion and even a crazy loon gets to own and purchase any weapon of choice but we just kill them after they commit the act and hope that provides enough stimulus to prevent them. LOL
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what would I do if I were in charge? I would have to remind people that:

1. you have the right to own guns, and that right is unlimited and uninfringed, and is a cornerstone of being a free people

2. that right is non-negotiable. changing it is out of the question.

3. there always has been, and always will be, some people killing other people for whatever reason.

4. we're just going to have to take it from there.

of the mass shootings, many would have been reduced or prevented if the victims would have been armed. you may notice practically all of them were unarmed.

of the many gang-related shootings such as drive-bys those were criminal-on-criminal actions. my advice would be to not associate with criminals.

of the other crimes such as robberies, rapes, carjackings, etc we simply need to actually prosecute them, and actually send them to prison, and actually keep them there for the whole time instead of letting them out early. we should see that that would result in less crime, therefore a need for LESS prisons, and LESS backed-up court system, and so on. and if that doesn't work well enough the answer is to increase the penalties, duh.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about eliminate the violence like in video games, movies. Drugs would be another thing. Violence from needing drugs is a large problem that creates robberies, car jacks, home invasions.. Now the immigrant problem turns up the wick a little more. Add some muslims in there soon and it will get interesting. Just wait till they start be headings in the USA or they start blowing up churches here. Then you haven't seen real violence until then.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    GilWilson1 wrote:
    In no way was I implying we can prevent death, but just as we added seatbelts and air bags perhaps some mitigation is needed.

Since most of these shooters have a mental health history the suggestion of asylums certainly makes for a reasonable argument.

Not in anyway imply taking away guns from citizens, but maybe those who have shown issues in controlling their anger or impulses need to have less access to the tools. That or we stand with NOT INFRINGED in any fashion and even a crazy loon gets to own and purchase any weapon of choice but we just kill them after they commit the act and hope that provides enough stimulus to prevent them. LOL

It sounds reasonable to have some limitations on gun ownership until you remember there is a whole segment of society that believes guns are evil and guns are the problem. Many have given up on an outright ban and instead are eating the elephant one bite at a time. The old saying "give them an inch and they'll take a mile" comes to mind.
    The saying of the day some years ago was some believe anybody who would want to own a gun is mentally ill. This tack didn't get them very far, so they decided to attack the problem from the bottom up, identify those who are "said" to be mentally ill and forbid them from owning firearms. This tack eventually plays out into anybody who doesn't like guns can point at a gun owner and say he is mentally ill. If you don't believe this just remember the abortion battle, now in many places if a baby is crowning you still have time to kill it, some say even after it is born it's OK to kill it. IMO not giving an inch is the more prudent tack, no matter how persuasive the argument. In many cases, mental illness is subjective (based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions).
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do something about so called "Legitimate institutions" such as main stream , pop culture, and academia that foster class warfare, and hate.

Yes, and as much as I try to omit the word DEMOCRAT, most of the hatred emanates from their ideologues and front groups.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe they need to bring back chain gangs for roadside work, mowing, disposal of road kill, ect. stuff nobody wants to do, then maybe they won't want to go back to jail. then you have to bring back mental institutes, I know it isn't politically correct but crazy folks need locked up, worse thing is the place would be full of crack/meth heads within a month. there is no EASY answer because you are going to be doing things most people won't agree with, yet the same folks whine and cry everytime there is a shooting, but won't address the real problem, mental health..
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about eliminate the violence like in video games, movies. Drugs would be another thing. Violence from needing drugs is a large problem that creates robberies, car jacks, home invasions.. Now the immigrant problem turns up the wick a little more. Add some muslims in there soon and it will get interesting. Just wait till they start be headings in the USA or they start blowing up churches here. Then you haven't seen real violence until then.

heh. they haven't either.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guns don't kill people, they don't have a mind of Their Own. They have to have people to use them to kill somebody. So people kill people not guns

And sane people don't kill people, only Nut cases do. So lock up of The Nut Cases... problem solved.

The nutcases will always find a way to kill people. They have ever since the beginning of time. So if you take away all the guns but leave the nutcases on the streets, they'll just grab a couple of ingredients and build a bomb, or find numerous other ways of killing somebody or killing a crowd. Nutcases will always find a way , they have ever since the beginning of time
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only answer I can come up with that will actually deal with the issue is, shoot back. Make of that what you will as it can take many forms of action. Shoot the shooter, bury them, and cease discussion of the shooter.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SCOUT5 wrote:
    The only answer I can come up with that will actually deal with the issue is, shoot back. Make of that what you will as it can take many forms of action. Shoot the shooter, bury them, and cease discussion of the shooter.

^^^^^^^^ This ;) and as the old Indian said "he won't shoot never no more" :D

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GilWilson1 wrote:

There are incremental things that can be done to reduce the numbers of shootings.

Many of these have Individual Liberty restriction ramifications.

Obviously restrictions on firearms, magazine capacity, etc. directly go against not only the Individual Liberty aspect of the 2nd Amendment, but also directly reduce the ability of the common man or a group of common men from resisting the military of a rogue government or the militarized police forces of a rogue government.

Helping people who are struggling with mental issues would help, but the current trend towards extra-Constitutional seizure of a person's firearms via Red Flag (Don't piss of the wife) Laws are prior restraint laws and cannot be squared with Individual Liberty.

The bottom line is that a free society needs to be able to resist the intrusion of government when that government is intruding upon freedom and liberty. Inherent with the ability to resist is being able to arm ourselves to the point where such resistance is credible. This means the common man must have access to weaponry that allows him to credibly resist, and therefore the common man will have the ability to kill a significant number of people if he chooses to do so.

The price of freedom is this risk. I believe it is a price worth paying.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    edited November -1
    SCOUT5 wrote:

Yep. Stop glorifying the killers in the media.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,956 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The courts have ruled that you cannot incarcerate someone for being mentally ill. While they certainly do not deserve to live under bridges because they have an illness, many seem to prefer the voices to the way the medications make them feel. We may never have a solution for it until we have a real handle on the genetics involved.

Simply put, you cannot lock someone up because of what they might do.