In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Got kicked while I?m down

WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
Long story shorter than it could be- I have moved from Dallas to Orlando. I have one prized possession- My Ducati. Back in December the guys who were supposed to crate it dropped the bike off the moving truck in Dallas. It was destined for failure and I let these guys be in control of it- well I they immediately agreed to pay for it, the bike didnt look bad and it had actually fell onto these big furniture moving dolly?s.

They delivered the bike uneventfully and I took a closer look- thats when I knew it wasnt going to be cheap.

First the exhaust had been crushed up- and basically interfered with the rear brake so I knew it would need new exhaust- lots of little bangs and bruises.

Then I noticed the handlebars were tweaked and they would move until they actually hot the gas tank- not good.

The Ducati dealer called me today and basically said she is likely totaled. He was building a parts list but calculating the labor would be really hard So he would work that for another day or so.
Front forks, gas tank, frame, exhaust, and lots of other small nicks and scrapes.

At 10 feet - looks pretty much fine- to a Ducati mechanic who has to bess the bike for speeds of 170mph, lets just say- its almost all bad.

I might say goodbye to motorcycle racing and quite frankly this just isn't how I saw that ending.

Frankly it sucks- I had this bike perfectly balanced to ride on the street all week and be track legal with a few twists of an allen wrench. 160hp, 99ft lbs of dyno tuned Italian muscle and most importantly I trusted this bike as hard as I dared ride it.

So I will wait and learn of its fate- but I no longer control its destiny.

Last pic- when I dropped it at the dealer for the damage estimate. Now I will likely never ride it again.

I have gone 10:10 in the Quarter @133mph (it had more- blame the rider) and done a clocked 165mph wide open on the backstretch going into turn 12 at Circuit of the Americas in Austin.

For me- this bike was perfection-

ZO1DMg8l.jpg
VV8QQHWl.jpg
949FmOll.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man that SUCKS!!! I love that desmo noise. Can?t you get them to pay for a new bike?? Or have them deported or put on the no fly list or something ?.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sucks to hear about your bike... but... at least it got in a wreck when you weren't on it!
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if they agreed to PAY for it ....get it fixed like it was before they got StupID and Careless....
  • Options
    lew07lew07 Member Posts: 1,055 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems a bit drastic to write it off over what?s happened .Main dealers are notoriously expensive.
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    lawyer up asap :twisted: they will weasle out of it
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******
    edited November -1
    Yikes. Sorry bout your bike man. That sucks. Is it really the end of riding for you?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    dpmuledpmule Member Posts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hate to hear about your bike.

I'm not a Motorhead , but I've seen guys grieve as much over the loss oftheir bike, mostly Harley's, and special cars nearly as much as our family grieves over the loss of a mule or horse.

Hope it works out for you and you get your face in the wind again.

Mule
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am sorry to hear this.
    RLTW

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sam06 wrote:
    I am sorry to hear this.

Agreed Brother.