In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

HOWA Model 300

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in Ask the Experts
Visited a LGS today and spotted what I've learned is a HOWA Model 300. Never heard or seen of one prior. It's not a reworked M1 Carbine but a built from scratch semi-auto rifle in 30 Carbine. Uses M1 Carbine magazines. I've attached a link to the HOWA site. The one I'm looking at is the checkered stock version with a scope side mount base and "magna-porting". The rifle is in excellent shape, not a scratch on it.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_howa2.html

I was told only a few came in, the website seems to back that up. Can't find anything in my "few years old" Blue Book.

Any input on value, the impossibility of finding the detach part of the scope base appreciated.

Comments

• rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    My understanding was that the Japanese government didn't want Howa producing "military weapons". Even though they were for export commercial sale, primarily in the States. Quite a number of AR 180's made it Stateside, as compared to the carbines. Jump on the carbine if possible, very few of them around. Although the model that is a direct copy of our GI carbine. Is worth a lot more, because every collector of M1 carbines wants one for their collection. The one you described is way rarer, IMHO. Considering that it dates to the 70's.
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rufesnow wrote:
    My understanding was that the Japanese government didn't want Howa producing "military weapons". Even though they were for export commercial sale, primarily in the States. Quite a number of AR 180's made it Stateside, as compared to the carbines. Jump on the carbine if possible, very few of them around. Although the model that is a direct copy of our GI carbine. Is worth a lot more, because every collector of M1 carbines wants one for their collection. The one you described is way rarer, IMHO. Considering that it dates to the 70's.

The LGS is asking $2K for it. They said they had some wiggle room, I'm guessing a few hundred max. I'm guessing the scope mount is something I'll never, ever find.

Doesn't help that I'm picking up 6 handguns next week, and one of the other LGS are getting in a collection of about 75 Colts about the same time. And here I thought I'd given up Ramen Noodles and hot dogs for dinner. :D
    edited November -1
    dfletcher wrote:
    rufesnow wrote:

The LGS is asking $2K for it. They said they had some wiggle room, I'm guessing a few hundred max. I'm guessing the scope mount is something I'll never, ever find.

Doesn't help that I'm picking up 6 handguns next week, and one of the other LGS are getting in a collection of about 75 Colts about the same time. And here I thought I'd given up Ramen Noodles and hot dogs for dinner. :D

Hard to call. Not likely, you ever have another chance on a Howa sporter carbine though.
  • Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

Ive got a HOWA M1 carbine in the safe : bought it several years back ( $ apx. $250 ? I think ) :

ordered it out of 'shot-gun' news from a small importer in Calf. (?) ,

Story I got was : The Japs bought the rights from Winchester ( they No longer produced the M1 at that time ) , and had them made for their national police (???) , This small importer brought in 300 of them ???

Supposedly (?) I got One of known 300 here in the US ???

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
    edited November -1
    OK :

Ive got a HOWA M1 carbine in the safe : bought it several years back ( $ apx. $250 ? I think ) :

ordered it out of 'shot-gun' news from a small importer in Calf. (?) ,

Story I got was : The Japs bought the rights from Winchester ( they No longer produced the M1 at that time ) , and had them made for their national police (???) , This small importer brought in 300 of them ???

Supposedly (?) I got One of known 300 here in the US ???

Thanks !!!

For S & G. Put it on the auction. If it's original, and in at least VG condition. See what it's worth now.
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dammit! Never heard of these before but now I WANT one :D Bob
    edited November -1
    OK :

Rufesnow : Its NOT for sale !

But I have wondered at times if it has any realistic value ???

Its in 'average' condition : Ive got the impression that most people do not know what it is ???

Somewhere out there ? there is 299 more of these ?

Thanks !!!

edited November -1
    I have an 8" Anaconda LNIB with the hangtags, box and cardboard "slipover" too. Hard to find in CA and a heck of a lot easier to sell than this rifle. Paid $1,800.00 for it during a visit to OR (was sent to my CA FFL for transfer) and have yet to shoot the darn thing. Am pondering a straight up trade. Moving to OR in about 2 years and could always find another Anaconda.
    edited November -1
    OK :

No idea what an 8" Anaconda has to do with this ? But ?

Just may list my "HOWA" M1 carbine : If Interest is shown ???

Thanks !!!

• Hardrada55Hardrada55 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    I mentioned the 8" Anaconda as a possible trade in CA for the HOWA I saw in the LGS. They ballpark about the same price.

So long as the listing made clear this isn't a plain old Howa M1 Carbine type I think you'd have lots of interest. Scope mount is probably a big plus too.
This discussion has been closed.