In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NE Tennessee Followup

Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
I finally got to spend almost a week in the Johnson City/Bristol/Kingsport area. I decided I will continue to pursue a move there from IA. Thinking the Gray/Jonesborough/Fall Branch/Sulpher Springs area is where I am going to zero in on for land or an existing acreage. So far not having much luck finding 5-8 acres outside city limits with a flat enough area to build a pole barn style building/house combo. Found a few existing acreages that are ok but none match what I view as my dream place. So may have to find a rental for a while so I can take more time. I am surprised at the land prices, $10k/acre seems to be the standard, which is actually more than IA prime farmland but similar to building lots here.

While we were there we did do quite a bit of sightseeing, and hiking. NC has some really beautiful mountains within a short drive. Hiked a bit of the Appalachian Trail, went up Grandfather Mountain, Roan Mountain, Steele Creek. Did the UTV tour which was quite enjoyable too. Saw some historical attractions. Went to a distillery. Ate some BBQ and other local faire, was expecting more variety of BBQ and such than we found. Actually the restaurants and diners were very similar to IA. (and yes we did a Waffle House for breakfast!) The people and traffic seemed similar as well. The evidence of generational low income/poverty was actually a surprise, widespread areas with rundown or abandoned properties, especially in rural areas. I never thought of IA as a wealthy state but with the exception of a few inner city areas and some very small rural towns, you just don't see the evidence as outwardly or as concentrated here. I realized I need to study the history of the area more. I remember bits from my grade school days, particularly the importance of the TVA. The musical history I find very interesting as well. The geological formations are absolutely amazing. To see bedrock tilted at 45 or more degrees is mind boggling!

One added note/question: Where is ya'll's garages? I was surprised many of the houses only have a carport and maybe a single tuck under. Car ports and tuck unders went the way of the dinosaurs in the 70's up here. Most houses here have a 2 or 3 car attached and most rural have a detached as well. Where do put your workshops/tools/mowers/big boy toys? I guess I made an assumption it would be similar.

Back in flat land IA I am already missing the mountains. And the amazingly well kept roads. For as high of taxes as we pay here our roads are terrible in comparison.

One thing I need to learn to adjust to is distance vs. time perception. In IA if you see a place is 60 miles away that means an hour drive, if not a bit less. In TN/NC 60 miles can mean almost 2 hours due to the slow twisty roads. Its kind of a whole different world.

Comments

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry I could not hook up with you.

Sounds like you hit the major attractions. :D

Glad you had a good visit.

As an aside, look in to Mountain City, TN. (Further NE.) as a place to inhabit. It is where I ended up. I love it here. (More limited employment though.)

Had a Family history here, from my Mom's side.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wish it would have worked out to meet up. Maybe next time :)
    Mountain City I am sure is beautiful, but until we are closer to retirement I have to keep commute times as a factor. My wife will likely work in JC or Kingsport.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ah, yes, East Tennessee where unrivaled :) American history was commonplace.

ENJOY!!!!!!! :D
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    kimi wrote:

Daniel Boone, (Boone, NC.) quite prominent around here. I can imagine him exploring this area. Beautiful.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    kimi wrote:

Sycamore Shoals, where the "Over Mountain Men," met up, went down to Kings Mountain, GA. and gave the English their first kick in the *. First time the English were beaten in N. America. Huge moral booster. Showed the English could be beaten.

Kind of like Midway, or Doolittles bombers on Japan, after Pear Harbor.
  • Options
    Edspdog1Edspdog1 Member Posts: 225
    edited November -1
    Where did you find your BBQ?
    Slim pickin's in Western NC near the areas you mentioned. Couple fair ones in or near Johnson City.
    Speaking of Dan'l Boone, he was a distant relative of mine.
    Land is pretty expensive in the area, lots of city folks looking for the promised land.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,665 ******
    edited November -1
    Welcome to Tennessee, where the men are men and the sheep are nervous. :)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Edspdog1 wrote:
    Where did you find your BBQ?
    Slim pickin's in Western NC near the areas you mentioned. Couple fair ones in or near Johnson City.
    Speaking of Dan'l Boone, he was a distant relative of mine.
    Land is pretty expensive in the area, lots of city folks looking for the promised land.

Cootie Brown, and Southern Craft BBQ. Southern Craft was good but I didn't care for their sauces.
  • Options
    Edspdog1Edspdog1 Member Posts: 225
    edited November -1
    Got to get away from the cities for the best BBQ.
    Firehouse in Johnson city is pretty good, city food though. There is one "under" the bridge on the old Milligan highway that is OK, can't remember the name but it is closer to Elizabethton.
    One in Maggie Valley that is supposed to be one of the best, according to my son but then he is not crazy over the best ever in Bluff City.
    Better be careful might cause Bravo to spend all his Taco money on gas testing BBQ. By the way I did see a taco van close to Mtn. city the other day. Meels on wheels? Jefferson maybe.