In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tennessee Reforms Firearm Law - HB-1264

Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
Tennessee Firearm Law HB-1264 Signed by Governor. 05/24/2019. Goes into effect on January 01, 2020.

http://wapp.capitol.tn.gov/apps/BillInfo/default.aspx?BillNumber=HB1264&GA=111

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/05/tennessee-reforms-firearm-law-in-2019/#axzz5pH6pHETE

I don't understand why some people don't like it? It makes getting a carry permit easier since there's no range time requirement. It also lowers the cost from $100 to $65. The only difference is that you can't open carry with the $65 permit which is weird. You have to take the extra training if you want to open carry.

I never liked open carry anyway because it just screams SHOOT ME FIRST!

Comments

• Options
    WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I?m all for constitutional carry, removing the requirement for range time scares me.

I periodically teach CCW class and see so much mishandling of firearms that it scares the heck out of me.

We shouldn?t need a permit to carry but there should be a mandatory safe handling / marksmanship training requirement.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I?m all for constitutional carry, removing the requirement for range time scares me.

I periodically teach CCW class and see so much mishandling of firearms that it scares the heck out of me.

We shouldn?t need a permit to carry but there should be a mandatory safe handling / marksmanship training requirement.

The problem is selecting the ones who will be dictating and judging what is safe and what is sufficient marksmanship.

Including a subjective test for the exersize of a right opens the door for manipulation and infringement of that right.

There is very little in the news about average citizens who carry causing problems or hurting or killing people. Adding restrictions for a problem that is not documented out of personal fear of something does not seem to be the way laws should be written.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******
    edited November -1
    Well said. My view has always been-Who decides?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tennessee Firearm Law HB-1264 Signed by Governor. 05/24/2019. Goes into effect on January 01, 2020.

I don't understand why some people don't like it? It makes getting a carry permit easier since there's no range time requirement. It also lowers the cost from $100 to $65. The only difference is that you can't open carry with the $65 permit which is weird. You have to take the extra training if you want to open carry.

In states without ?open carry?:
    If your shirt gets pulled up or your jacket flies open and your firearm is exposed, are you in violation of the law?
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jimdeere wrote:

In states without ?open carry?:
    If your shirt gets pulled up or your jacket flies open and your firearm is exposed, are you in violation of the law?
    I was told in WV anyway, technically you could be charged with brandishing, even though you didn't pull the weapon out it could easily be seen by others. while most would ignore it a few antigunners may scream bloody he... and possibly some over zealous cop may side with them...
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

To me it screams to a peep, MOVE ON PERP, THERE'S EASIER GRAZING ELSEWHERE!
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I've also heard people that have been properly trained, in a high-stress situation lose all of it and just start spraying and praying... even police officers have been known to do it. So really training means absolutely nothing when it comes to the real thing. A person mindset is what dictates what they do in the high-stress situation. No amount of training will change that
  • Options
    edited November -1

I've also heard people that have been properly trained, in a high-stress situation lose all of it and just start spraying and praying... even police officers have been known to do it. So really training means absolutely nothing when it comes to the real thing. A person mindset is what dictates what they do in the high-stress situation. No amount of training will change that
    Never said anything about high stress. I?m talking about every day trigger and muzzle screwups. ?Pocket? pistols. Stuffed in the glove box. You name it, nothing to do with high stress self defense.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

I think you're still requiring a "permit". Instead of a piece of paper to carry you're requiring a piece of paper for the option to carry. That piece of paper documenting successful completion of the class becomes a defacto permit.

I have 4 non-res permits and two required a training class. The problem with mandatory is that they teach to the lowest common denominator and have a "pencil whip" mindset. And at some point the class inevitably devolves into "is it OK if I shoot him then ??" type Q&A session.

I understand there's a reflexive "well it must help" response, but isn't that what our anti-gun opponents use to justify mag restrictions, AW bans and such? Rather than relying on that sentiment, shouldn't we ask a) does the class provide any demonstrable public safety benefit and b) is this something that can be accomplished voluntarily? Don't folks who buy a gun and carry attend a class on their own if they're new to guns?

We should also consider another point. It is that if we agree carrying in public requires testing then how do we oppose having the same requirement on mere possession in the home? After all, the gun spends most of its time at home, not on your hip. A class is required so you don't shoot a stranger but accidentally blasting cousin Lou is OK? That's what they'll say -
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a firm believer that the Right To Keep and Bear Arms SHALL NOT Be Infringed.

Requiring a permit, requiring training, requiring a note from Mom, etc., etc....is INFRINGED!

Responsible people, however, will get training on a regular basis.
    And if any person that keeps and bears arms manages to create a problem (negligent discharge, shooting a bystander, wounding themselves, etc.) they should be held fully responsible.

1QJsNvR.jpg
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Don?t most, if not all new handguns come with an instruction book?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I?ll thro it out there one more time. A huge number of new gun owners are idiots.

You guys can scream and cry about ?infringed? and ?the 2nd is MY carry permit.?

I see these idiots and how they handle firearms. As I said, I teach CCW and was a RSO and a local range. The things I see are terrifying at times.

You want a Gun? Buy a gun! Want to carry it? Get some training so you don?t shoot me in the * at the range.

And if you believe that people will willingly / responsibly / intelligently / put your magic word here voluntarily get training, in many cases you?re sadly mistaken...
    - GEORGE ORWELL -