In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&R Model 1873 Trapdoor 45/70 carbine

ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in Ask the Experts
I found an H&R Model 1873 trapdoor carbine in a local gun shop. It has a case hardened receiver with some engraving on the trigger guard, the trapdoor, and several other places. The stock is not checkered, and the carbine has a vernier sight. There is no metal cap on the forearm, and there never was one. The serial number of the gun is " Serial No Exp 5 ".

The left side of the barrel is marked " U.S. Model 1873. cal. 45-70 Govt". The left side of the barrel is marked, " Harrington & Richardson Inc., Worcester, Mass., Made in USA."
It appears it has never been fired.

It isn't the Officer's Model ...any body ever see one or have any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Serial No Exp 5 ". How exciting. So how much are they asking? I wonder if they're stuck shooting Trapdoor loads?
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    If it has a 'Saddle ring opposite the hammer, it's a 'Saddle ring carbine'.

I had one. One could say I have a weakness for carbines of all stripes. Swapped a Honda 450 Black Bomber for it. Kicked like a mule. Put it on the table at a swap night at the Club. Asked $300.oo. It didn't say on the table a 1/2 hour.

I've seen them priced @ $600.oo and up.
  • Options
    rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    I also had one years ago. Don't recall what the sight looked like, it's been that long. Although very nice looking. Wasn't as nearly as strong, as the original Trap Door that I owned at the same time. I can state that from personal experience.

The original H & R, that made these Trap Door replicas, has been out of business for years. My guess, your carbine with that special serial number. Would have to be at least 40 years old. H & R made a number of different models. Yours might be worth quite a bit. If you can substantiate, that it is one of the low production variations?
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    babun wrote:

This rifle except, no checkering and no metal cap on the forearm....
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yoshmyster wrote:
    Serial No Exp 5 ". How exciting. So how much are they asking? I wonder if they're stuck shooting Trapdoor loads?

I picked it up for six hundred...
  • Options
    rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    yoshmyster wrote:

Re, my previous post. Most definitely, don't be shooting any of the modern commercial, smokeless loads in it! Either load your own. With light loads of the modern powders, that duplicate BP pressures. Or get some of the 45-70 "cowboy" loads. That are used by the SASS shooters, in their matches. My understanding. These are loaded with cast lead bullets, at no more than 1000 FPS muzzle velocity.
  • Options
    DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like some commemorative or limited edition. I have a standard H&R Trapdoor Carbine and it kicks the snot out me because it's so light.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...