In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Funny of the day.

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
I went in and deposited my paycheck last week. The teller miswrote and credited me .01 cent (penny) extra. Today I got a letter stating they over paid me a penny. I look on the envelope .50 cents for postage :lol::lol::lol:. I believe the term "more money than cents".

Comments

• BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, Cap One mailed my wife a check for 24 cents the other day. Like leaving a credit on her card will never get used.

KC
  • wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Electronic media could help avert the next bank crisis...
    "What is truth?'
  • babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Can't think of the movie name, but years ago there was movie about 2 low level banking employees, that fingered out how to take all the "extra" rounded off cents from thousands of accounts and put them into their name. They made big bucks!!! :D

OFFICE SPACE !!!

"""

Peter Gibbons : [Explaining the plan] Alright so when the sub routine compounds the interest is uses all these extra decimal places that just get rounded off. So we simplified the whole thing, we rounded them all down, drop the remainder into an account we opened.

Joanna : [Confused] So you're stealing?

Peter Gibbons : Ah no, you don't understand. It's very complicated. It's uh it's aggregate, so I'm talking about fractions of a penny here. And over time they add up to a lot.

Joanna : Oh okay. So you're gonna be making a lot of money, right?

Peter Gibbons : Yeah.

Joanna : Right. It's not yours?

Peter Gibbons : Well it becomes ours.

Joanna : How is that not stealing?

Peter Gibbons : [pauses] I don't think I'm explaining this very well.

Joanna : Okay.

Peter Gibbons : Um... the 7-11. You take a penny from the tray, right?

Joanna : From the * children?

Peter Gibbons : No that's the jar. I'm talking about the tray. You know the pennies that are for everybody?

Joanna : Oh for everybody. Okay.

Peter Gibbons : Well those are whole pennies, right? I'm just talking about fractions of a penny here. But we do it from a much bigger tray and we do it a couple a million times.""
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blame the government that passes stupid laws for stupid laws like that. if they make a mistake on your account they have to notify you in writing with a hard copy. It can't be sent to you electronically.

No doubt your Bank thought it was silly also, but their hands are tied

Just be glad they don't have to send it registered mail with a signature required, it would have cost them a lot more
  • Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    babun wrote:
    Can't think of the movie name, but years ago there was movie about 2 low level banking employees, that fingered out how to take all the "extra" rounded off cents from thousands of accounts and put them into their name. They made big bucks!!! :D

OFFICE SPACE !!!

"""

Peter Gibbons : [Explaining the plan] Alright so when the sub routine compounds the interest is uses all these extra decimal places that just get rounded off. So we simplified the whole thing, we rounded them all down, drop the remainder into an account we opened.

Joanna : [Confused] So you're stealing?

Peter Gibbons : Ah no, you don't understand. It's very complicated. It's uh it's aggregate, so I'm talking about fractions of a penny here. And over time they add up to a lot.

Joanna : Oh okay. So you're gonna be making a lot of money, right?

Peter Gibbons : Yeah.

Joanna : Right. It's not yours?

Peter Gibbons : Well it becomes ours.

Joanna : How is that not stealing?

Peter Gibbons : [pauses] I don't think I'm explaining this very well.

Joanna : Okay.

Peter Gibbons : Um... the 7-11. You take a penny from the tray, right?

Joanna : From the * children?

Peter Gibbons : No that's the jar. I'm talking about the tray. You know the pennies that are for everybody?

Joanna : Oh for everybody. Okay.

Peter Gibbons : Well those are whole pennies, right? I'm just talking about fractions of a penny here. But we do it from a much bigger tray and we do it a couple a million times.""

Richard Pryor did the same thing in Superman 3 :D
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    we leased a car many years ago ( only time ) 1989 I think it was when we turned it in we received a bill for 48 cents a week later another letter saying the cost was waved never mind your good :o
  • grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We used a bank that really screwed up our account, debiting and depositing funds from my Brother's account. Finally we had a check bounce! I went to the VP of the bank, and threatened him with great * harm if it wasn't straightened out THAT DAY!! It was. The next week, I opened an account at another bank, leaving $5.00 in the old bank. They mailed a statement every month for over a year. We got a letter saying that there had been no activity for "X" months, and we needed to "use it or lose it". So I deposited another $5.00, went to a store and wrote a $5.00 check. Finally after about 2 years, I went in and closed the account. I hope that the accounting costs made them as happy as it did me!
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    grdad45 wrote:
    We used a bank that really screwed up our account, debiting and depositing funds from my Brother's account. Finally we had a check bounce! I went to the VP of the bank, and threatened him with great * harm if it wasn't straightened out THAT DAY!! It was. The next week, I opened an account at another bank, leaving $5.00 in the old bank. They mailed a statement every month for over a year. We got a letter saying that there had been no activity for "X" months, and we needed to "use it or lose it". So I deposited another $5.00, went to a store and wrote a $5.00 check. Finally after about 2 years, I went in and closed the account. I hope that the accounting costs made them as happy as it did me!

Is that how it works, the two wrongs make a right???

You do realize Bankers didn't pay for it, it's the innocent people, like a little old granny that only has $100 saved in her life for a rainy day that have their money in the banks that paid for it. It's not as if it came out of the bankers personal pocket. Glad to see you punished all the innocent people instead of the person that was at fault