In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Arghhhh.......

neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
edited May 2019 in General Discussion
My largest safe (Heritage) has a keyed spin-dial lock on it and is in a 9x13 safe room I had built in the smaller portion of my double garage accessible through the door that was going from the house into the smaller garage. Several weeks back, after opening it, the dial locked up and the handle would not turn the bolts. Whether I had the dial locked or unlocked, it still would not turn. Fortunately, the safe was open. Being in the safe room, I was not in a big hurry to get it taken care of.

First of the week, I decided it was time to get the lock fixed. Contacted a locksmith and set up an appointment for late pm yesterday. Two of them came out, took the back panel of the door off and exposed the "lock box". Opened it up, removed some parts including a spring. Worked on it a bit and put it back together. Checked to see if the lock would spin. Yep, sure did. Swung the door to, turned the handle, spun the lock and asked me to use combination and open the door. Uhhhh.....didn't work. Asked me to try it again....Uhhhh, not happening. They got a blank look to their face. Started muttering they should have worked with it more before closing it. Yeah, ya think?? One of them went out to their truck and got a lock box just like the one that was on it. He looked it over and realized that he had hooked one end of the spring where it did not belong. Said it was supposed to go on the "fence" when he hooked it somewhere else.

They realized it would have to be drilled out but said their puller would probably damage my dial-lock and that it was an expensive lock (heavy gold-plated S&G with Heritage name on it) and did not like the idea of having to replace it. After a while of thinking, they wound up pulling if off and drilling. Worked on it for a while with an ice-pick trying to lift up a small brass bar that would allow the handle to turn the bolts to open.

Bottom line is about 9 pm last night they gave up for night with it still not open. Asked when they could return today, I said it would not be good until late this pm. I am a bit uneasy about all of this, but do not think they are screwing me around. But, being on the cautious side, I did put my cell phone on recording them for a bit and drifted outside while they were working and took a couple of pics of their big work van with my house in background to prove they were at my house.

Comments

• Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    Holy crap! They couldn't test the lock before shutting the door????
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Apparently you hired Barney Fife and Gomer Pyle :oops: .............Sha - Zamm ! :o

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should have taken a clue from Harry Houdini......have them lock YOU inside.!!! :D :shock:
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Holy crap! They couldn't test the lock before shutting the door????
    Too easy. :lol:
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,184 ******
    edited November -1
    I think they owe you a new safe.
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I say.......it's give-a-way time on the safe and contents :D

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    u live in Mayberry ?????
  • montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,893 ******
    edited November -1
    Damm. That stinks. Yeah,I too think they owe you a new safe.
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to change the combos on all of the locking containers in the National Guard armories in this part of the state.

My standard practice upon entering the Armory was -

1. What is the current combination?
    2. What combination do you want on the container?
    3. Change the combination - and do any required maintenance on the lock.
    4. Unlock the container lock three times (with the container open).
    5. Lock the container (again open).
    6. Tell them to unlock the container and then close it.
    7. Do my paperwork while they were doing that.
    8. Observe them doing what I told them to do in step 6.
    9. Leave the armory knowing I will be able to answer any questions that "higher headquarters" may have later.

They always looked at me funny, when I showed up a year later - and asked them the combination to the container.

"You mean you don't remember?" Yea, right - I forgot it before I walked out the door.
  • Gregor62Gregor62 Member Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd like you to meet my brother Darrell, and my other brother Darrell........
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,682 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats on the new safe.
  • WearyTravelerWearyTraveler Member Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 old safes and had the combos set the same. It scares me each time I lock them. I?m afraid that one day they?re going to lock up from olde age.
    ”People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    - GEORGE ORWELL -