In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Single Shot 223?

grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
Wanting to run a charity shoot, and one course will be a golf ball launcher aiming for a flag. My problem is that the blanks are FILTHY, and gum up my AR. My question is - what about a break open single shot with a threaded barrel? I have a machinist friend who will thread it for free. Been looking for an H&R or NEF. That will be much easier to clean. I don't see a problem with pressure because the blanks won't cycle my AR. What say you folks?

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Contender barrel.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I forget what it's called or if they're still being made. There was a spray for black powder you sprayed on before shooting that made clean up easier at the end of the day. For all I know EPA made them take it off the market?
  • Options
    likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rossi used to make a youth model .223/20ga interchangeable model, single barrel, break open, with external hammer and I believe H&R used to make a youth .410 break open, full choke. I believe it was called Pardner, if that would work you could use 209 primers for the .410. Any youth single shot .22 with blanks like they use for launching bumpers for dog training. As long as you have someone to thread the barrels. My concern would be barrel obstruction and failure with any of the options mentioned
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can buy Savage bolt gun with scope for $219.
    Pull off the scope if you want, thread the end of the barrel, screw on can for balls.

:D
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/816372331
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The extraction on rimless cartridges in the H&R/NEI is weak.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    m203 golf ball launcher?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    TRAP55 wrote:
    m203 golf ball launcher?

Just screw it on in place of the muzzle device. Bought it off Ebarf for $20. It will launch a golf ball almost 400 yards with a military surplus blank.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be advised, a golf ball that will go 400 yards will be FATAL at close range. :shock:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    babun wrote:
    Be advised, a golf ball that will go 400 yards will be FATAL at close range. :shock:
    Yeah, I sent one through a piece of 3/8" plywood at 20 yards. Gun safety is required at ALL times, even when shooting blanks only. Right now, my machinist friend is looking at imparting a little spin on the balls, because they tend to "wander" as they fly. :D
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    grdad45 wrote:
    TRAP55 wrote:
    m203 golf ball launcher?

Just screw it on in place of the muzzle device. Bought it off Ebarf for $20. It will launch a golf ball almost 400 yards with a military surplus blank.
    Understood that, I was suggesting the M203 golf ball launcher to get away from the blank fouled barrel. They have one that will launch a soda can too.