In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

newer Mustangs, Camaros, Chargers and Challengers

buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
I haven't seen ONE with big fat tires on the back.

why is that ????

Comments

• Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    traction control , tire compounds make a big difference on the street . toss in the hell cat drag pack comes with a set of skinny front tires and rims for drag racing along with a few other goodies to swich out when you go racing . also look at the tires that came on the old 60"s cars about 8 inches wide
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    traction control would make sense, but tire rubber can't be that much better than what they had in the late 80's.

must be the traction control.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    traction control , tire compounds make a big difference on the street . toss in the hell cat drag pack comes with a set of skinny front tires and rims for drag racing along with a few other goodies to swich out when you go racing . also look at the tires that came on the old 60"s cars about 8 inches wide

I knew the Dodge Demon had a drag package but never knew the hell cat did. The Demon is the fastest quarter mile production car ever built at 9.65 seconds.
  • remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    traction control would make sense, but tire rubber can't be that much better than what they had in the late 80's.

must be the traction control.

a lot of people are putting fatter tires on them because they don't get enough traction. I don't know how that doing with the mechanics of the vehicle, maybe it's tearing up the vehicles...
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well? I haven't seen a one with fat tires. I know jacking up the rear end can be bad for the transmission (driveshaft angle changes) and 50's can be bad for the tranny when they get TOO much traction (no slip, no give) but nice beefy 60's and most 50's aren't going to do anything.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Modern vehicles likely require alot more $$$$ in alteration inorder to tub them out....they already come with four link suspension systems with traction features, but to put big meats under them require serious investment to make room.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tire compound. Newer hot rods use a softer tire that gives less mileage. And the width. No more old 70 or 60 series tires like in the 70's. My 96 Grand Sport has a 35 series rear tires. 01 Camaro has 40 series front and rear. A lot of rubber meeting the road.
  • ProceramicProceramic Member Posts: 334
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a few are confused about aspect ratio vs tire width.
  • GilWilson1GilWilson1 Member Posts: 182
    edited November -1
    The Dodge had circumstances (Pre-production, prepared dragstrip, 100-octane fuel. Time factory driven one year before production start. Dodge didn't allow independent magazine testers to use their own measuring equipment or turn on dragstrip timers, the best Road & Track could get was 2.6 seconds to 60 mph and 10.7 for the quarter-mile, Motor Trend got 11.0 as best time self-reported from the car.)

Now what about that Ford from 1964! Or the all electric Tesla!
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GilWilson1 wrote:
    The Dodge had circumstances (Pre-production, prepared dragstrip, 100-octane fuel. Time factory driven one year before production start. Dodge didn't allow independent magazine testers to use their own measuring equipment or turn on dragstrip timers, the best Road & Track could get was 2.6 seconds to 60 mph and 10.7 for the quarter-mile, Motor Trend got 11.0 as best time self-reported from the car.)

Now what about that Ford from 1964! Or the all electric Tesla!

Check out YouTube there's plenty of privately owned stock Demon's going under 10 seconds in the quarter mile at the race tracks.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Proceramic wrote:
    Sounds like a few are confused about aspect ratio vs tire width.
    He sure is :lol: