In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

was just watching the beverly hillbillies.....

hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2019 in General Discussion
in the episode Jethro is depressed and talking about killing himself, and tells Jed he thinks he will just eat himself to death. This reminded me of a guy I was in the service with, he got orders to Okinawa and didn't want to go, he had been in fat camp in bootcamp, basically held back for a month to loose enough weight to graduate bootcamp. He told me if he had to go to Japan he was gonna eat his way out of the corps. I heard later he did just that, guess he was put on a strict diet over there yet he snuck enough junk food to keep gaining weight and ended up getting a medical discharge, and don't know if it matters but he was from california, and I pretty sure his folks had money, guess this had something to do with it he was spoiled growing up and never changed.

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, I have to ask, Why on earth were you watching the Beverly Hillbillies? :o

Obesity is rampant among poor folks as well, they eat cheap food with is largely carbs.
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited November -1
    I have fond memories of watching The Beverly Hillbilly's and seeing Jethro in Granny's kitchen with a huge mixing bowl that he filled to the brim with Kellogg's Corn Flakes! Kellogg's was a show sponsor. Funny how Max Baer Jr. aka Jethro is the last surviving member of that series.
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Imagine Television making fun of any other group of people like the way they picked on the Hillbillies!! :shock: Blacks? Hispanics? Gays? Muslims? Etc!!!!!
    I used to and still do love that show!!
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Imagine Television making fun of any other group of people like the way they picked on the Hillbillies!! :shock: Blacks? Hispanics? Gays? Muslims? Etc!!!!!
    I used to and still do love that show!!

That's because people with low IQ's can't stand comedy aimed at their race or type of people. They take it personally where intelligent people can laugh at it because they have enough sense to know they are not stupid and don't really care what others may think.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love Granny. She was a riot.

As for the dude not wanting to go to Japan? Was Japan a plane ride to Korea or Vietnam?

Now Okinawa isn't really "Japan" more of a m?lange of South Pacific Island Folk, Filipinos and Koreans that speaks kind a Japanese. Kind a like Japanese version of Hawaii.
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brookwood wrote:
    I have fond memories of watching The Beverly Hillbilly's and seeing Jethro in Granny's kitchen with a huge mixing bowl that he filled to the brim with Kellogg's Corn Flakes! Kellogg's was a show sponsor. Funny how Max Baer Jr. aka Jethro is the last surviving member of that series.

I have fond memories of watching the show in my formative years. My memories all revolve around Elly Mae for some reason. :D Bob
  • HessianHessian Member Posts: 248
    edited November -1
    Patton was a Californian back before it turned blue.
    I've seen weirder things than the Hillbillies in Beverly Hills. A bunch of Saudis bought a house from a famous Director and had somebody paint all the nude marble statues of women skin tone with bright red nipples. These guys wore Savile Row suits and stood on the toilet seats to take a dump. When somebody said "clothes make the man" I doubt they had these guys in mind. :D
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it was a fun show from a simpler era.....and the basis was believable if you lived in an area that actually had oil seeps .....liked the character of the banker that did everything to keep their account....now that is real also