In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How do you check a revolver cylinder for excessive play?

steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
edited July 2019 in Ask the Experts
Ive always cocked the hammer and then just checked the cylinder play. It seems all revolvers have a slight amount of play. Is there a measurement? Thanks in advance, Steve.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    They need to have some room to move. Alignment is more important to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JII__KNLYY0
  • rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    What is called a "Range Rod", is used to check that the axis of the cylinder and barrel are aligned. Three different parts control this. "Hand", "Bolt" and "Rachet Surfaces" located on the rear face of cylinder.

If there is misalignment. Copper and lead, will be scraped off the side of the bullet as its fired. This can be potentially cause injury to bystanders, and destruction of the revolver.
  • steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank You Rufesnow
  • punchie48punchie48 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Please correct me if I am wrong but I seem to remember some revolvers (think COLT) that time on the trigger. There would be excess 'play' when the hammer was pulled but lockup would be tight with the trigger pulled and held.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the 22 revolvers i stuck long barrels on i tried to get 0.003 to 0.004 end gap...some of the cheaper import revolvers has up to 0.017...nasty.....used an 11 degree forcing cone reamer ..and heard somewhere that the large diameter of the forcing cone had a sweet spot at some +% of the bore size but have never found out the amount that is ???...played with 22 and 22 magnum as learning tools ..also had a variety of sizes of flat end steel rods to just slide down the barrel and when a cylinder was cocked and locked if the rod hung up on a chamber you had a problem
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    punchie48, my colt New Service revolver locks up exactly as you describe. However, I would not describe the cylinder as having "excess play" before lockup. It actually has very little play before the final lockup.