In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WINNER of 2 BOOK GIVEAWAY is:

kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
edited July 2019 in General Discussion
KenK/84Bravo!

Ken, please send me a private message and include your address. I'll mail the books out to you Monday morning!

My thanks, again, to all who entered!

Last chance to enter for book-giveaway is today, Friday 5 July. Winner to be announced early tomorrow morning.

The books will be mailed to the winner as soon as I get their name and address.

The one rule for entry is that each person have 100 or more GB posts to their credit. However, it would be my hope that both books be passed on in another GB giveaway event once they have been used by each winner for the benefit of our members. name
The Winner of this event will be named next Saturday.

This giveaway occasion is for those who like to read about American history, most especially that which has to do with the events that gave way to the War Between The States. One book, "A History of Lawrence, Kansas, From the First Settlement to the Close of the Rebellion" (which is on hand now as I purchased it from the Watkins Museum in Lawrence, Kansas, last summer), and the other one, "Quantrill at Lawrence: The Untold Story" (which is on order now). The titles of both books pretty much sums up the aim of each one.

There are a considerable number of reviews on Amazon.com about "Quantrill at Lawrence: The Untold Story," which will provide a good overview about it, but strangely, there are none that I could find there about "A History of Lawrence..." Having pondered this lack of reviews issue, it has become apparent to me that one book drew a lot of reviews since it goes against the norm, while the other one did not get any at all as it is in step with politically correct view points about the history surrounding this war. That said, the following is a link and excerpt of a review from someone who appears to be somewhat savvy about the Border War and the events surrounding it:

https://tinyurl.com/y3x4efz3

EXCERPT:

"Which is true? Well, both are. Can two different truths coexist? Of course.

Reading the Leslie account (see below) of the Lawrence killings is justifiably chilling. Should we feel equally appalled at the reprisals ? over the next three weeks more Western Missouri farmers were killed on their farms than men had died in Lawrence? More farmsteads destroyed. Is it less chilling because it happened over three weeks, one or two men at a time, on isolated farmsteads? Or is it more chilling? If we can accept the depredations of Western Missouri in Sept 1863 by men wearing Union blue as an understandable revenge for Lawrence, can we truly deny any human validity for the reaction of the young men of Western Missouri to the depredations of the jayhawkers, the destruction of their farms, the murder of their relatives? Can we deny that they, too, were fighting for home and family?

The conclusion I have reached after reading several works from different perspectives is this: the leading Jayhawkers in 1861-2 (Jennison, Lane) were brutal, vicious, evil. Some of the bushwhackers (bloody Bill Anderson) were so as well. For most, and I include Quantrill, they were fighting for cause and country, for home and family under conditions of the border partisan warfare. And many of them (Quantrill included) fought with honor.

The book is not without flaws, some simply the result of the author?s background. He is not a professional historian. There are technical problems with his footnotes. Which are sparse and don?t always match. (A useful and relevant quote he ascribes to Gregg is actually from McCorkle?s memoirs; a quote from Cole Younger he footnotes as being from Yunger?s memoirs is not. Is it from a different Younger source?) He is tendentious in places. The book reads more like a brief for the defense than objective history. Accept it as is, read it with other books, and it provides substantial information not available elsewhere and gives the reader a broader perspective of the war on the border."

Good luck!!!!
What's next?

Comments