In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

rifle scabbard R.M.Bachman, Florence, Mt.

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
edited July 2019 in Ask the Experts
I just picked this up at a local auction, any info & value? thanks
OyoefFIl.jpg
It even has a holder for 10 .44/40 (or similar) rounds on the far side.

Comments

• Options
    rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    From your pic. Don't look vintage/old to me. I have seen a lot of old leather, mostly holsters. Over the years. The leather, even if well cared for. Gets oxidized and worn from use. Your scabbard looks like it was stored, in the proverbial sock drawer. If it is a vintage piece.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    From what I got off the net he is a contemporary (about 70 yrs old) maker of very high quality. this quality shows. cowboy action shooters??
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks nice. Likely $150 in raw leather maybe more.

A few years back I bought one like this for $30, in case I ever get a horse. Cheaper than I could make one.

312032.jpg
  • Options
    rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    Best luck I've had over the years, tying to price and research modern stuff. Is with fleabay. Seems sooner or later, everything turns up for sale there. Being it's modern made, and he's still kicking. Not likely to be that much, of a big buck item, IMHO.

It's when the maker kicks the bucket. Values on high quality custom made stuff, tend to skyrocket. Years ago, I found a holster made and signed by Rod Redwing. He was a noted, native American stunt man and actor, back in the day. Kept it for years, though never used it. As it was a belt holster for a single action. One day, for S & G. Decided to clean house, and put it on fleabay, with a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff. Some guy in Japan, bought it for big bucks. Surprised the poop, out of me.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    #73 Saddle Scabbard, base price of $215 new.

From: http://www.oldwestreproductions.com/products/details.cfm?id=30

30_1_large.jpg?1563777516

"Description: Available for lever action and single shot cartridge rifles. This saddle scabbard or rifle boot, as they are sometimes called, was a necessity when carrying a rifle on horseback. Original maker - Joseph Sullivan in Ft. Benton, M.T. circa 1880-1886."

"Historical Information:

Joseph Sullivan arrived in Deerlodge, M.T. with his partner V.K. Goss in 1878. In September of 1880, they moved their business to Ft. Benton at the headwaters of the Missouri River. Shortly thereafter, Mr. Goss sold his interest in the business to Joseph Sullivan. Sullivan died in April 1940, but the Sullivan Saddle Shop still lives on as a major part of Montana history."
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks 35w, I found the web site but no reference to the rifle 'boot'

FOR THOSE INTERESTED i JUST LISTED IT ON THE AUCTION SIDE
    # 822949187
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    florence mt is just 15 miles up the road from me. a little on the far side to be a commuter town to missoula, has quite a retiree flavor to the last few years.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1