In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A Guys First Pistol

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited July 2019 in General Discussion
A friend of a friend wants a pistol. He asked me if i had some pistols that would fit in a pocket.

I told him i have a lot of pistols that will fit in your pocket. My friend and him do AC work on the side and they were in the hood and felt unsafe.

He told me he was scared and wanted something to protect himself.

I told him to come by my house and we would go through some of my stuff and see what felt good in his hand.

Most of my smaller pocket guns does not have a safety on it.

I explained to him that i am left handed and i keep a gun in my left front pocket. I NEVER EVER put anything in that pocket ever.

Everything goes in my right pocket. I told him thats how people shoot themselves in the leg by putting keys in the gun pocket and then getting the keys hooked on the trigger and pulling the keys out.

Should i let him buy a gun without a safety or only with a safety. He has long guns but never owned a pistol before.

Comments

• Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Inexperienced shooters in a moment of panic will probably not be able to remember to disengage the safety before firing.

If necessary, I would recommend a snub nose revolver in 38SPCL and lots of practice. Point and shoot. No safety required. He can get one with a shrouded hammer if he insists on putting it in his pocket. A holster would be a much better option.
  • Options
    likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My choice for a new owner would be

Taurus M85 UltraLite 5RD 38SP +P 2 with or without the bobbed hammer and use a pocket holster with a trigger guard. Total bill under $300

I own several and never had a problem. I use these to teach new shooters regularly with tamed down ammo.
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    charter arms ...small DA revolvers in 22 on up...transfer bar.....one hand go
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Consider Ruger LCR in 327 Federal. 6 rounds in a pocket revolver with 3+ different rounds available. Buy the double action only and it will slide right out of a pocket. I pocket carry a .38spl S&W with the shrouded hammer (for 30 years) and am considering going to the LCR in 327.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Assuming he is safe to be turned loose in North Carolina with a loaded pistol, I highly recommend using a pocket holster for pocket carry. If he is concerned about accessibility and speed, Amazon sells a spray can of silicone lubricant called ?Quick Draw? for holsters.

In my opinion he will be better off with a revolver and make sure you remind him that all practice that isn?t actual live fire needs to be done with dummy rounds or empty chambers. Most people who shoot themselves in the leg say ?I wish I hadn?t done that.?
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to have him shoot different guns. Everybody starts yelling revolver with a new shooter and in most cases that's a right choice especially for someone who is probably not going to be shooting a lot. I have however worked with many new shooters over the years and some just could not manage shooting a revolver. Most of the time it was due to a lack of hand strength and that prevented a smooth double action trigger pull and anyone carrying a double action revolver should be capable of firing it double action. If he wants to walk around with a gun then he should be willing to put in the time and money to do it properly. Otherwise he might end up as a statistic for the anti gunners.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    and they were in the hood and felt unsafe. I suspect they had firearms in the hood or were around them.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two handguns that I actually do pocket carry now and then. A Taurus 850 (concealed hammer) and a Ruger LCP. They go in a pocket holster inside the pocket with nothing else in the pocket. Little guns are poor choices for a first gun imo. Lots of recoil and not easy to hit with for newbs. They should get some training. If they insist on a safety then S&W Bodyguard .380 or SIG P238. I have a S&W Shield with a safety but it?s a little big for pocket carry and that?s only with cargo pants...no way it?s going in Jeans.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    S&W Model 29 4" in 44 mag

;)
    RLTW

• Options
    rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    Pocket holster, mandatory as others noted. My EDC a G 27, has been carried for years, in a "Uncle Mikes, # 4 " pocket holster.

2 points regarding pocket carry. #1, Even carried in a holster. Lint and dirt, will find there way to the innards of the handgun. it should be cleaned internally at least every 6 months. Or bad things might happen. Years ago I bought a Bernardelli, vest pocket .22, that didn't function. When I took it apart it as totally plugged with pocket lint. #2, If the handgun weights at least 16 ozs. or more. Heavy duty, durable pants and belt/suspenders have to be worn. Pistola(s) carried in light tight fitting dress slacks, stand out like a sore thumb. I learned that the hard way years ago. I got clocked, by more than a few ghetto dwellers and badge boys. Who have to be knowledgeable, about such things. If thy want to stay healthy/breathing.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +100 on the cleaning. Lint finds it?s way into the open space in the back of the slide where the hammer is on my LCP. I check it regularly and use a q-tip to get it out.