In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6:30 am call from Fayetteville NC police department!

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2019 in General Discussion
Was lounging around this am and the phone rang, I figured an issue with one of the facilities I take care of, but instead the lady says, "this is the Fayetteville NC Police department".

THANK GOD my daughter who used to live there has moved home so I knew it wasn't in relation to anything like an accident. "We have recovered your stolen Gun".

Awesome, except now I probably have to drive 8 hour round trip to recover a 250.00 Pink 38 Charter Arms revolver that I bought for my Daughter, it was stolen from her house when she lived in Fayetteville.

Maybe I will tell them to just can it. At least it is off the street.
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mogley98 wrote:
    Was lounging around this am and the phone rang, I figured an issue with one of the facilities I take care of, but instead the lady says, "this is the Fayetteville NC Police department".

THANK GOD my daughter who used to live there has moved home so I knew it wasn't in relation to anything like an accident. "We have recovered your stolen Gun".

Awesome, except now I probably have to drive 8 hour round trip to recover a 250.00 Pink 38 Charter Arms revolver that I bought for my Daughter, it was stolen from her house when she lived in Fayetteville.

Maybe I will tell them to just can it. At least it is off the street.
    wouldn't give em the satisfaction of destroying it, even if it was only worth $20, make a day of it and give em a handshake and a thank you, at least they did find it and offer to return it.......
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,382 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    What hillbillie said.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make a day of it and go see the Airborne and SO's museum.

Fayettnam has some good places to eat too. Like you I am glad I no longer live there.
    RLTW

• Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I vote with Hillbillie and Sam.
    Good news and enjoy the day!
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right up 1-95. Get it and give it back to her.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Called spoke to Captain Armstrong of the Aberdeen police department, he said they recovered from a convicted felon, with 5 rounds in it. Would likely be a year before they complete investigation and can turn it over to me. Oh well I guess I will wait another year, its been three or more already.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If anyone is still in the area, it may be possible for someone else to pick it up. My mom picked up a N.A.A. .22lr mini revolver a few years ago for me in Missouri. I had to send in a signed and notarized permission form. She said she was amused because when it was stolen, it was in the now "NFA grey" area of being inside the wallet holster. She said that several policemen were checking it out. One asked to open it up to see what it looked like without it, etc.

I've had 3 guns returned. One was the one above that was taken by itself and two others from a batch that were stolen. One of those, I had to go to a courtroom and show proof of purchase, theft report, etc. Another person was there and I felt sorry for a guy. He had purchased it legally, had a bill of sale, etc. The problem was no check was done at the time on the gun itself. Later, he needed money so he pawned it and a check was done then. So, he didn't end up with the money and lost the gun.

Like everyone said above, unless I hated the gun (like the Taurus I recently mentioned in another thread), I'd make the effort to recover if for no other reason than principal. I'd also be tempted to send a couple pizzas, boxes of donuts (that might be too cliche'), etc with a note thanking them for their efforts in recovering it. We all know that is what they are supposed to be doing, but it seems all they get anymore is bad feedback so something nice would be welcomed.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    At least they called you and offered it back.
    That is more than some PD"s will do. They let you know they caught the thief, recovered the firearms and then 'need' to destroy them. Yes, it happens.
    :( :evil:
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Many departments in the south sell them complete or as parts - we would buy them in the gunshop days with evidence tags or tape still attached or applied...

I think there may even be some online dealers who specialize in department recovered arms...

Mike
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Fayettenam is probably the worse place I have ever lived, That was 20 years ago. It was hard to find anyone who has lived there who doesn't know or have family members who have been victims of violent crime. During that period the number of rapes was off scale high.
    Always kept a loaded gun nearby and will refrain from telling some stores how it kept me from being a victim.

One thing is for certain, the city had great detectives and investigators with a high success rate of solving crimes. There was a number of cases that made national news: McDonald and Theer.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    8 hours at 65 mph, about a 500 mile trip. It will cost you 50 cents a mile, like it or not, in gasoline, tire wear, oil changes, new clutches etc.

So pay $250 to get a $250 gun.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had one shipped to my Sheriff to transfer / handback to me when distance was an issue, it was a quick & easy fix for all concerned parties ;). Give that a try.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,027 ******
    edited November -1
    What hillbillie said.

Plus another,+++,,,you got a year to plan the trip. :):)