In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

video games

Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
edited September 2019 in General Discussion
I am thinking I would like to try some kind of video game set up and am seeking advise as what to buy. I have never played any games before, well PONG years ago, and I would like to get involved as cheaply as I can but, I don't want to trigger the starter bike syndrome. That's when the new rider leaves the motorcycle shop with a tiny bike to learn on only to be wanting something bigger and better a month later. Thank you guys in advance.

Comments

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They have this new game out, called PAC MAN.

You should check it out. :D
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They have this new game out, called PAC MAN.

You should check it out. :D

Come on Man, keep up with the times!

Space Invaders will keep him entertained for awhile! ;)
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't start.

They are a total waste of time!

I don't play 'em and have no desire to waste my time on earth in such a useless manner.

There are far to many enjoyable, worthwhile things to do in the very limited time each has on this earth.
    8-)
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recommend you watch this and do some google searching...

https://youtu.be/udlMSe5-zP8

Mike
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    if you don't want to put any money into it, there are several emulators on the 'net for Nintendo Play Station, Sega, etc. that run on your computer. download one and some game ROM's for free. you might want to buy a joystick.

some old game enthusiasts translate the whole thing into Java and put games on their web page. you can go looking for those, but here is one of my favs

http://wizardofwor.krissz.hu/

EDIT:

oh yeah, somebody did a remake that is better than the original. you can go here to check it out and download the .zip to play on your PC
    http://archive.org/details/WizardofWorRemix
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay now you need to explain to him about the donkey Kong world record being taken away by the cheater using an emulator that was doctored...

As if a true gamer would lower themselves to using an emulator...

Go vintage and get an Atari wood tone cartridge console or an Atari 400 or 800 or a commodore 64 or colecovision...

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I miss rogue and hack and net hack - the original random level generated text character shared server and PC games - I would love to play them again...

Mike
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here is version 2.0 I think - the original was from 1980

I wasted much of my youth quaffing potions and defeating quaggas and exploring ever lower levels of the dungeon in this die off - begin again game of skill

https://youtu.be/PDFLAArINEA

Mike
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the new stuff is for the young folks with nimble fingers and no memory loss get an old Nintendo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    those old games from the early 80's aren't easy. you have to have speed and reflexes.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,653 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you might want to buy a joystick.

Now Why (?) Did you have to go and tell him that?

We will never see Ricci again here.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    you might want to buy a joystick.

Now Why (?) Did you have to go and tell him that?

We will never see Ricci again here.

maybe a Wi fit instead????? it will give him that beach body he allways wanted...
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pickup a used "original" Microsoft xbox console / controller /cords with the original game Halo 1 for less than $100 on the internet. Just make sure it's a reputable seller that will accept returns. It was the top game and console when it came out and since you aren't a gamer you should be more than happy with it.

Make sure it's compatible with your TV. Think it required AV inputs.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    droptop wrote:
    Pickup a used "original" Microsoft xbox console / controller /cords with the original game Halo 1 for less than $100 on the internet. Just make sure it's a reputable seller that will accept returns. It was the top game and console when it came out and since you aren't a gamer you should be more than happy with it.

Make sure it's compatible with your TV. Think it required AV inputs.

Yep,,and pick up Sarges Heros game.
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm still trying to get that damn frog across the 4 lane highway :roll:...................................... :lol:

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    edited November -1
    I knew this guy my first year in college who played Pac Man like nothing I'd ever seen before. We'd be in the dorms and on one quarter he could play this game all night long. It was unbelievable. I could only get through about 5 levels. He could get through over 100 levels. He'd literally play until he got bored and walk away. He'd have so many credits you could play for a couple hours on his remaining credits/lives. I don't know if he ever made it to the famed "split screen" at level 256, but he could get up into the 120's and still be on his first "life", and it didn't look like he was slowing down.

there was a book with the patterns to beat each level. he probably read it. (I used to have it but wasn't very interested in Pac Man)
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get one of those "classic" game things that plug to the TV that has like 20 different games from the '80s like Galaga (that space fly shooting game). Me I kind a like PC games like "Might And Magic", "Doom", "Quake", "Star Craft" since I have a PC. I'll find new to me games at places like Good Will. Most of the things I mentioned is pretty cheap so you don't have too much cash invested if you no likey.

I do like Super Mario Cart in battle mode on old consol. I used to play against my bro's kids until they got pissed off until they'll walked away.

Oh that remind me I still want a full size arcade model of "Gauntlet".
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to have an F-22 Raptor flight simulator game on my desktop computer. I could lose hours of my day in front of that thing.
  • Options
    discusdaddiscusdad Member Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:
    Don't start.

They are a total waste of time!

I don't play 'em and have no desire to waste my time on earth in such a useless manner.

There are far to many enjoyable, worthwhile things to do in the very limited time each has on this earth.
    8-)
    and there you have it. the perfect example of "GRUMPY OLD MAN" never played a video game, probably never even seen one, but knows everything about them and how worthless they are, and even wants others to not play them......
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy once, cry once, Ricci. You won't have to think about any upgrades for several years, and could run any game you want.

This is the type I stuff I like.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ryeg0z2a_qc[/media]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,674 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have found quite a few games that I really like. People that don't understand might make fun of video games......but if they ever really found one they liked they'd understand its not just a "game" to waste time if you find a good one. They are a lot of fun, get your mind off of everything and it can be a GIANT escape.....like a mini mental vacation.

Finding what you like is key though. A lot of guys like the 1st person shooters where you roam around a map killing everything in site and try to stay alive. I'm not into that myself. I like to collect things, have adventures or solve puzzles.

I wish you lived closer, I'd let you take some things home and we could figure out what the perfect game is for you.

Zelda is a sure crowd pleaser. Its a story type game with a hero that roams large expansive maps, collecting clues to further his adventure and advancing his power level so he can fight stronger characters. This one is a nintendo exclusive so you would have to stick with a Nintendo Wii, Wii U, or Switch to play it. There are other cool games from Nintendo.....Donkey Kong has a few really good ones too that you could play on this system. You'll be VERY surprised by the graphics on these games.

Pikmin is another fun one. There are three versions and they are planning on a new one coming out on the Nintendo Switch sometime. In this game you are a couple little space men that land on a planet and find these little pikmin there. Each color has a specialty....Red/fire....Yellow/electric....Blue/water.....and more. You have to use the pikmin to solve puzzles and its fun to try to get through things without losing your herd of little guys.

All the Mario, Super Mario, and such are Nintendo exclusives too. So, if you are decide you are going for some old school familiar titles its going to have to be one of the Nintendo platforms.

Your first step is going to figure out what system you want to try and find a deal on that first. PS4 has a TON of games...same for Xbox. If you like the shooters you can stick with either of these two and you will have tons of choices. Skyrim is a HUGE game that has a lot of details....sure to keep you busy for a very long time and its on PS4. Abes Oddworld was a lot of fun.

Gamestop has a return policy that will let you trade out a used game if you decide you don't like it. I think you get a 100% in store return toward another game if you bring it back the following day. So, pick up a system and start trying things out.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,653 ******
    edited November -1
    I played a lot of Wolfenstein and Commander Keen on a desktop back in the early ?90?s. Surprised to see they are still around, though have greatly evolved over the years.
    My problem is I get addicted and can?t stop playing. When I worked shift work, I would come home off the 3-11 shift and play until dawn.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on what games you are interested in playing, doing so on a PC often leads down the rabbit hole. Consoles are much cheaper over all and generally speaking are more reliable/stable.

It is real easy to spend thousands on a PC gaming rig if you get into some of the more graphic intensive titles. My mom considers herself a gamer. She plays card games, and block games like Tetris and Mah Jong (sp). Those can run on the cheapest tablets. I play games a lot too, especially when my back is flared up and can't do outdoor stuff.
    I mostly play Role Playing Games (RPG) like Diablo series, or First Person Shooters (FPS) or Massive Multiplayer Online (MMO) games. First person shooters by far require the highest spec PC, especially the Graphic Processing Unit (GPU). A person can spend over a grand easily just on that part. I'd first play other peoples games some to see what you like. For a PC, many people, myself included, prefer keyboard and mouse over a game pad of some type. So, you may want to try that if you aren't already used to game pad. A game pad has better ergonomics and granular control whereas keyboards are on or off. This becomes more evident on games like Flight Sims where the on and off keystrokes can make a plane start oscillating making it hard to land.

If you are ever in central OK, come by and play on my gaming system. I am in I.T. for a living so I have a dedicated server room off the garage. I have my PC in there along with my servers. It is nice in the respect that I can have my audio as loud as I want out there and not affect my wife. This is particularly handy on really difficult missions where it requires coordination between team mates.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    edited November -1