In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Texas International Pop Festival, Redux

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,006 ******
edited September 2019 in General Discussion
The City of Lewisville (Texas) sorta kinda crawfished on this whole music festival notion. Of course, they had 50 years to do it. Some of us remember how it was in 1969.

The 1969 music festival was not held in Lewisville, but on the grounds of Dallas International Motor Speedway (DIMS) which was just south of Lewisville off I-35. This really enraged the City Council at that time, because they had no control. Within months after the festival, the Council annexed DIMS and the land around it, and passed an ordinance banning any music festivals in the city limits. Now, the City spokespersons act as though they were on board with the 1969 festival and are looking forward to the coming one.

My family and I lived in Lewisville in 1969, and Dad wanted no part of the chaos that he believed was coming, so we loaded up and spent a long weekend on our place in SW Arkansas.

When we got back, we found Lewisville to be no worse for wear, but we heard stories, and read letters to the editor in the Lewisville Leader. I think some of the attendees camped at DIMS, while others went to some of the lake parks at Garza-Little Elm Reservoir. Anyhow, there were stories about public nudity, making potty in public, public lewdness, drug abuse, etc.

I really wanted to attend the 1969 event, but I was just a kid, and kinda had to do as my parents wanted, so I didn't. Today, I am 50 years older, and making the trip and buying the tickets would be no sacrifice.

I think I'll stay home.

Comments