In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ever seen a bumble bee chase a humming bird??

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in General Discussion
I'm standing at my kitchen sink watching my humming bird feeder and all of my wives beautiful BIG flower pots (She has over fifty!!). The hummers like to hit the feeder, than hit the flowers than back to the flowers in an endless cycle. I love watching hummers and all the other birds using our feeders. Not to mention all the flutterbyes feeding on our flowers.

Hummers are very territorial and very aggressive! At least with other hummers. :lol: So as I was watching, this male hummer intruded a little to close to a feeding bumble bee. Mr. Bumble Bee got pizzed off and went after Mr. Humming Bird. It was no contest as Mr. Humming Bird is about ten times faster than Mr. Bumble Bee!! Mr. Humming Bird did not stand his ground but was back in less than a minute! :lol:

I love standing at my kitchen window!!! :D

Comments

• Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just yesterday I saw the same thing. My wife and I wondered what words were exchanged between the Zinger and the Bee.

We had to hang multiple feeders and hide them from the view of each other. Otherwise 1 bigger Zinger chased all the others away.

This year we have had charms of Humming Birds.....my wife informed me a "charm" is a flock of Zingers.

How positively charming.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    very few hummers here but loads of them at the lake place...great to sit on the deck under the oak trees and watch them vie for who is feeder boss....watch the sun go down over the lake and see it a blaze orange color...a few little fix ups and its for sale after 16 years.... don't like the drive over anymore and can't do a lot of stuff myself anymore
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dreher wrote:
    I'm standing at my kitchen sink watching my humming bird feeder and all of my wives beautiful BIG flower pots (She has over fifty!!). The hummers like to hit the feeder, than hit the flowers than back to the flowers in an endless cycle. I love watching hummers and all the other birds using our feeders. Not to mention all the flutterbyes feeding on our flowers.

Hummers are very territorial and very aggressive! At least with other hummers. :lol: So as I was watching, this male hummer intruded a little to close to a feeding bumble bee. Mr. Bumble Bee got pizzed off and went after Mr. Humming Bird. It was no contest as Mr. Humming Bird is about ten times faster than Mr. Bumble Bee!! Mr. Humming Bird did not stand his ground but was back in less than a minute! :lol:

I love standing at my kitchen window!!! :D

I know the feeling!!!!!! :)
    What's next?