In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ODESSA TX SHOOTING FIVE (5) DEAD

big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in General Discussion
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/31/us/odessa-texas-active-shooter/index.html

(CNN)

[Breaking news update: Posted 6:47 p.m. ET]

An active shooter was shot and killed in Odessa, Texas, according to the Midland Police Department.

[Previous update: Posted at 6:19 p.m. ET]

At least one person was killed and 10 wounded in West Texas, between the cities of Midland and Odessa, when a shooter or shooters fired from their vehicles at people at shopping centers, authorities said. Police in Midland said officers are looking for two shooters in two separate vehicles, a gold, small Toyota truck and a US Postal Service van. Devin Sanchez, a spokesman for the City of Odessa, said there are 10 confirmed injuries with possibly up to 20 injured. There is one person confirmed dead, he said. One of those who was shot is a law enforcement officer, but it is unclear if the officer is injured or dead, Sanchez said.

Police officer off Highway 191 between Odessa and Midland, Texas.

Sanchez said someone in a gold Toyota was driving around shopping centers and shooting people from his vehicle. The area is near 32nd and 191, on the east side of Odessa.

Midland Police Department put on their Facebook page, "We believe there are two shooters in two separate vehicles. One suspect is believed to be at the Cinergy in Midland and the other is believed to be driving on Loop 250 in Midland. The two vehicles in question are: gold/white small Toyota truck and a USPS Postal Van. Please stay away from these areas and stay indoors."
The Odessa police Facebook page said the mail carrier truck was hijacked.

Sanchez says authorities are urging people to stay indoors.
A law enforcement official told CNN that agents from the FBI's Midland office are responding to assist with the incident. The Midland office is a satellite office of the FBI's El Paso division.
The US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in Dallas tweeted that agents would respond to the shooting.
Midland Memorial Hospital is currently on lockdown, and it is treating patients following the active shooting situation in Odessa and Midland, according to a post on their Facebook page.
According to a tweet, the University of Texas Permian Basin is on lockdown.
Attributable to the New York Police Department Counterterrorism Bureau via Twitter:
"We are closely monitoring the ongoing active shooter incident in Midland/Odessa, Texas"
Only four weeks ago, a gunman killed 22 people in a mass shooting in El Paso, located about 285 miles to the west of Odessa.

Comments

• Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Updated info...started with a traffic stop, suspect shot a police officer, fled the stop and then began a shooting spree. Only one shooter at thsi time, W/M 30s...hijacked a mail truck which is the cause of the second shooting suspect calls..atleast 5 dead, 20+ wounded
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bad guy is dead.
  • Options
    sxsnufsxsnuf Member Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw what was supposed to pass as a press conference on this incident. Lots of sketchy info at that time and only one clear answer.
    "A white male suspect in his 30s was shot and killed".
    When they stated a mail truck had been "hijacked" and used in the shooting, I was left wondering what a postal employee was doing working on a federal holiday weekend?
    I'll tune in later after they've ironed out some of the details.
    Prayers to the victims and their families.
    Arrivederci gigi
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    More details are coming in

As usual the DEMOCRATs and the media are turning the tragedy into an anti gun extravaganza blaming Trump and Senate GOP.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Respectfully - what happened at the final contact were at least 12 member of law enforcement closed with him and he managed to hit and wound 5 of them before being killed???

I imagine that body armor will have saved several lives - at this point it was not a surprise encounter...

Prayers that they all recover along with the wounded bystanders - but any details on the final encounter were he was stopped and killed???

Mike
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,989 ******
    edited November -1
  • Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    Two Troopers stop dirtbag for traffic violation. As they approach his vehicle, dirtbag shoots at them through rear glass with a rifle striking one. Speeds off. Shoots at motorists along way. Hijacks a mail truck. Ends in a mall parking lot when LE surround him and shootout ensues. Dirtbag dead.

Prayers for all affected by this nonsense.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    sxsnuf wrote:
    I saw what was supposed to pass as a press conference on this incident. Lots of sketchy info at that time and only one clear answer.
    When they stated a mail truck had been "hijacked" and used in the shooting, I was left wondering what a postal employee was doing working on a federal holiday weekend?

Only Monday is a federal holiday, Saturday is business as usual. I received my mail yesterday.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wrangler wrote:
    Two Troopers stop dirtbag for traffic violation. As they approach his vehicle, dirtbag shoots at them through rear glass with a rifle striking one. Speeds off. Shoots at motorists along way. Hijacks a mail truck. Ends in a mall parking lot when LE surround him and shootout ensues. Dirtbag dead.

Prayers for all affected by this nonsense.
    Three officers in total shot...the original DPS, One Midland and one Odessa officer. All of them expected to survive.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another nut job, glad they got him nut its a shame he shot so many people.

I just watched beto o'dork or whatever his name is go on a rant about gun control. Someone should have said hey dumba$$ he could have run them down in his car too.
    RLTW

• Options
    coyote 270coyote 270 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing we are not seeing in any of these shootings is a Good guy defending himself or family with a gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does not fit their narrative or support their agenda so does it exist and did not happen.

Mike
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    coyote 270 wrote:
    One thing we are not seeing in any of these shootings is a Good guy defending himself or family with a gun.

The guy driving around shooting wouldn't give you much chance to shoot back even if you had the means.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Respectfully - what happened at the final contact were at least 12 member of law enforcement closed with him and he managed to hit and wound 5 of them before being killed???

I imagine that body armor will have saved several lives - at this point it was not a surprise encounter...

Prayers that they all recover along with the wounded bystanders - but any details on the final encounter were he was stopped and killed???

Mike

Based on the reporting I've heard he shot a total of three police officers, one initially on the traffic stop, and then two later at the time he was killed, one Midland and one Odessa officer. None of the officers died, and body armor only protects the upper torso, soft body armor offers no protection to high powered rifles and rifle plate armor provides less coverage than soft body armor. He was apparently armed with a rifle so vehicles don't offer too much protection. In one of the recordings of the final shoot out I heard automatic gun fire, likely from the police, so I am wondering it that is what put him down.
  • Options
    Aztngundoc22Aztngundoc22 Member Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK :

Hate to hear of the shootings !!!

at least the bad guy is DEAD !!!

Stopped in Odessa a few years back ( on the way to the Shot Show ) :

Water was so bad (really Nasty ) : couldnt drink the coffee or the tea ??

Washed my hands : had to stop down the road & wash up again : just to get rid of the horrible smell ????????

Will never forget that stop ::

Thanks !!!
    The more people I meet : The more I like my Dog :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I Grew Old Too Fast (And Smart Too damn Slow !!!) !!! :o :?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You would think I would learn patience with the media on such stories...

Prior to posting a watched a CBS report and part of a press conference were a law enforcement rep reported 5 officers from assorted LEO agencies had been shot and were injured...

Sorry to have passed on incorrectly reported info

I want to know the back story here cause it does not appear this was a pre-planned mass shooting or that such an event was interrupted or prevented...

Random traffic stop nets an armed nut job who shoots his way out of things and keeps randomly firing at vehicles in traffic - switches cars and continues - finally pursued and killed.

What was he carrying and why - how much ammo and why???

Crazy or Meth addict or gang member or somebody with warrants and FTA's or parole violations???

What triggered the traffic stop???

Mike
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike
    The info is still slowly trickling out on this one. I think Odessa PD is trying to be very cautious as to not reveal anything prior to completely validating it.

What is known so far in the different media outlets:
    - the guy was around 37 years old
    - had two misdemeanor charges for trespass back in I think 2002
    - DPS pulled him over for failure to signal lane change
    - he fired on the troopers, striking one
    - apparently used an AR style rifle
    - left the scene of the stop and began randomly shooting at people
    - killed a postal worker and stole her mail van

Why he opened fire on the troopers is unknown. Highly unlikely he had anything as far as warrants at this point.

Sometimes there is no motive and people just become unhinged at the slightest event.

The anti gun crowd and politicians are on their soap boxes screaming for more laws and getting rid of "assault weapons"
  • Options
    Okie MomOkie Mom Member Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sxsnuf wrote:

Federal Postal workers do work on holidays. There are certain boxes that need to be picked up and some mail to be delivered.
    My husband delivered mail for a few years and he did work some holidays.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't want to celebrate the shooter - or make him famous...

But I would like to understand what happened and why - the motivation and back story.

If only to help prevent a future occurrence.

One of the ways I conducted myself in the gunshop days was to deny handling or sales of firearms and ammo to certain individuals who set off my spider senses

I got ripped for that pretty badly here and in other places back in the day.

I began being cautious after being robbed at gunpoint and having to draw a gun to defend myself at the gunshop - and after a customer had a mental breakdown and became transgender and shot several state police officers

And once I had that vibe like the scene in the gunshop in terminator - when a customer who had been handed an unloaded shotgun pulled shells out of his pocket and started to try to load the gun...

One of only two occasions in over 20 years were I feared for my life and cleared leather pulling my carry piece...

Trying to rob a gunshop is like trying to rob a cop bar - everyone inside is armed and trained and ready to roll - it makes no sense.

I will get flamed again for bringing it up again.

Mike
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike I understand completely the gut feeling. I have refused to do personal sales to people who my gut said something is not right.

As a business person you have the right to refuse service to anyone as long as you are not basing it on gender, religion, sexual orientation or age (for certain things it is ok).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't want to celebrate the shooter - or make him famous...

But I would like to understand what happened and why - the motivation and back story.

If only to help prevent a future occurrence.

One of the ways I conducted myself in the gunshop days was to deny handling or sales of firearms and ammo to certain individuals who set off my spider senses

I got ripped for that pretty badly here and in other places back in the day.

I began being cautious after being robbed at gunpoint and having to draw a gun to defend myself at the gunshop - and after a customer had a mental breakdown and became transgender and shot several state police officers

And once I had that vibe like the scene in the gunshop in terminator - when a customer who had been handed an unloaded shotgun pulled shells out of his pocket and started to try to load the gun...

One of only two occasions in over 20 years were I feared for my life and cleared leather pulling my carry piece...

Trying to rob a gunshop is like trying to rob a cop bar - everyone inside is armed and trained and ready to roll - it makes no sense.

I will get flamed again for bringing it up again.

Mike

Info on Fox as of this morning is that the suspect had been terminated from his job a few hours before this incident, and had previously threatened employees with a rifle. Neighbor also reported to media that he had demonstrated some strange behavior over the past month. Not really sure what specifically.

Apparently an officer collided with the mail van to get it stopped and then the shoot out ensued. One of the officers was shot multiple times and is fighting for his life in critical condition.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now being reported he showed up to work enraged, gets fired for other reasons. His employer called 911. And the shooter called the FBI but according to them it was just a rambling call. Gets pulled over for a traffic violation and it?s on. But because he failed a background check and still had a gun you KNOW there?s gonna be talking ?Universal Background Checks? as he probably got the gun from a private party sale. The guy was seriously mentally ill. Bet he was off his meds. His house had no electricity or running water.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Meaningless.

The background check system they instituted in Chicago was supposed to be tough and strict and connected to every data base...

Turned out it was not talking to the other systems and they issued firearm I'd cards and pistol permits to felons - who bought guns - at least one of which has been confirmed as a murder weapon

They have kept it quiet - their response was to send a letter to the felons who purchased guns to turn over their credentials and return the guns.

They know who they are and we're they live and they have essentially done nothing.

Democratic politicians and the media goes silent.

You can't win - and it's not a level playing field.

Mike
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    News is reporting what I figured. He got the AR15 in a private sale. Guarantee the leftists push big time for ?Universal Background Checks? like we have in Washington and other States.