In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winter CCW,,

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,000 ******
edited September 2019 in General Discussion
gonna switch back to my 6.5" 44 mag for winter carry,,,,

Comments

• Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in the Desert, so I guess I have to stick with my NOA Derringer! :cry:;):D
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yearlong. Charter Bulldog .44 in a Roy Jinks pancake.

yAYPfr3l.jpg
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why? Does it get so cold where you are you need extra penetration to get through the many layers of clothing? I stick with 9mm and .357 year round.
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spring/Summer G43 w/.22 BUG

Fall/Winter G29 w/9mm BUG

I would prefer the 10mm year round but its hard to hide in a tee shirt.
    Where I live, I'm hunting all the time and the 10mm gives me a little more range and knockdown.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He Dog wrote:
    Why? Does it get so cold where you are you need extra penetration to get through the many layers of clothing? I stick with 9mm and .357 year round.

I figure he meant that winter clothing conceals a weapon easier and a bigger one, especially.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He Dog wrote:

I figure he meant that winter clothing conceals a weapon easier and a bigger one, especially.

That was my take.

What kinda' .44 are you sporting Joe?
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He Dog wrote:

That was my take.

I can hide my Glock 21 in colder weather with a jacket but I stagger my magazines with hardball and hollowpoints due to the bad guy having heavier clothing in the winter. .45 ACP hardball should zip right through heavy jackets where a hollowpoint can be obstructed and slowed down.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

That was my take.

I can hide my Glock 21 in colder weather with a jacket but I stagger my magazines with hardball and hollowpoints due to the bad guy having heavier clothing in the winter. .45 ACP hardball should zip right through heavy jackets where a hollowpoint can be obstructed and slowed down.

I have changed theory on the 9mm and .45 to just use hardball ammo. Penetration, no possible jams outweighs the HP it does more damage. 9mm hardball has killed folks along with the .45 during war. One just makes a larger hole.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

That was my take.

I have changed theory on the 9mm and .45 to just use hardball ammo. Penetration, no possible jams outweighs the HP it does more damage. 9mm hardball has killed folks along with the .45 during war. One just makes a larger hole.

I have a few 9mms but the Glock has the largest mags, 13 rounds of .45ACP plus as much as I hate to admit to a Glock being accurate at 25 yards it is the most accurate semi I own.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago an off duty cop working security carried a S&W 38 hammerless in his right hand outside coat pocket. He figured if he didn't have time to draw, he could shoot through the pocket. Showed me the jacket that he used to try this. Yep - holes and burn marks. Said he didn't have to worry about a jam and could keep all his shots on a torso type target at 7 yards. Did have to extinguish his smoldering pocket tho. Bob
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He Dog wrote:

That was my take.

S&W 629 Classic
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He Dog wrote:

yes, ;);)