In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Size of Conceal Carry Undergunned

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2019 in General Discussion
I've always wondered if someday I ever get in a situation to pull and defend myself the size of weapon I hold. Bad guy has a larger weapon than mine. Thinking from their perspective I am holding a 2" .380 or 3" barreled 9mm that is about the size of the palm of my hand. Are you then wondering if you should have carried a larger gun ? Wondering how many of shootouts or instances a large frame handgun has intimidated the other party to throw in the towel??? What say you?

Comments

• llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Raven .25acp you have with you is better than the .50AE Desert Eagle you left at home 'cause it was too big/heavy/inconvienent to carry .....

What to carry and how to carry it can be dictated by your local weather conditions (easier to carry a 1911 when you can wear a jacket... not realistic in Florida for a good part of the year), your local politics/mindset/LE (is printing considered brandishing? what if a gust of wind blows open your jacket or you reach up high to get something on a shelf, etc, and someone sees the holstered gun, or just part of it), etc.

If your local politics and mindset demand perfectly concealed carry, and your local weather demands light clothing and not a lot of layers, well, you are gonna be stuck carrying one of the subcompacts. If you are really worried about stopping power, then go for one of the double stack Glocks or any other subcompact that shares magazines with the larger full size versions. At least that way you can carry a 13+ round mag for a reload.

Of course, best to not put yourself into situations where needing superior firepower is required....
  • US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would expect it would go something like -

Pull and shoot.

not

Pull and look at what he has - and then decide to shoot or not.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All Guns look big when they are pointed at you ;)
    RLTW

• buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yep I would say many of the shooting videos I've seen they got to the shooting part right away and skipped the handshake. I'd be more concerned about the capability of your gun to stop the threat immediately before that .005 of a second where he points and shoots you anyway. less than that you're just trading bullets and that's not good enough. entirely possible that you both die.
  • roswellnativeroswellnative Member Posts: 10,105 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Speed to the shot trumps size
    Although always described as a cowboy, Roswellnative generally acts as a righter of wrongs or bodyguard of some sort, where he excels thanks to his resourcefulness and incredible gun prowesses.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is not the size of the round.

It is where it is placed.

Accurate fire, trumps spray and pray, every time.
  • RIA10MMRIA10MM Member Posts: 226 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    10mm was my choice this weekend.[url][/url]46-C2-B619-561-D-4832-9-B67-306-BD0-FD0189.jpg
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is not the size of the round.

It is where it is placed.

Accurate fire, trumps spray and pray, every time.

Don't forget penetration.

Bullet placement and penetration that is what gets the job done. For me the Glock 32 in 357 SIG is my goto gun.

I carried a 44 mag for a CCW but it was a 4" gun. I have also carried a S&W M58 41 mag another 4" N frame. If I was going to carry a 6" barreled revolver I think it would be in a shoulder holster.

When I carried a 1911 I carried it with Hard Ball ammo.
    RLTW

• buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    let me hide behind a berm and hold up a B25 target on a stick. I'm going to jerk it up and down, dodge left or right when you're aiming too good, might run 10 feet while turning it diagonally. and hold up my gun over the berm to shoot back at you. how's your "shot placement" now? you thought you could but you can't.

that's what you get in a gunfight.
  • truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A major consideration should be to carry a gun that you can accurately, and repeatedly, place rounds exactly where you want the bullets to land. A .380 in an eye socket sure beats a .44 mag that hits the curb.