In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Retro modern stereo

Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,471 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in General Discussion
45 years ago (give or take), I bought my first stereo system.

Had just come off a very good harvest and IIRC I spent over $ 1,000.00 on it.

Don't remember all the details, but I do remember I paid up for a decent Kenwood receiver/amplifier and Bose speakers.

Haven't had an actual stereo system in the house for over thirty years now, but was at a 'vintage' store Friday and picked up a pair of Bose 301 speakers with stands for $ 200.00.

On the way home stopped at Best Buy and picked up a Sony 100 watt/channel receiver/amplifier for another $ 150.00.

Wired the speakers to the receiver, had the wife show me how to put Pandora on the phone and within 10 minutes of taking the receiver out of the box was listening to Kansas 'Carry on my Wayward Son' at a decibel level that was no doubt comfortable for me 40+ years ago, but is no longer.

The little bluetooth sound cubes are nice, but I had forgotten what an actual stereo sounded like, and I get a little nostalgia kick to boot.
Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele

Comments

• asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never got so wound into it as some here. Best system I had was, for the most part, high end Marantz with a Teach r-r and Nachamichi cassette. Speakers were simple Pioneer in towers I built. Not the be all do all, but nobody at the block parties complained.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm amazed at the great sound that comes from the cheap earphones that I bought for my lap top. They sound better than anything I had back in the old days on a stereo.
  • Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,253 ******
    edited November -1
    The Bose cubes are indeed impressive for their size. Sounds like a good buy. I'm one of the odd folks that doesn't really like Bose all that much, but I know some folks swear by them.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,471 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never got so wound into it as some here. Best system I had was, for the most part, high end Marantz with a Teach r-r and Nachamichi cassette. Speakers were simple Pioneer in towers I built. Not the be all do all, but nobody at the block parties complained.

I don't pretend to be an audiophile by any stretch. Always just wanted something that would be as loud as I want it without distortion. This does that, and has the look of what I had in my dorm room so many years ago.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't notice any difference in sound quality after the late 80's early 90's. no need to buy the latest and greatest, those will do just fine.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I enjoy playing my stereo for young folks that have never really heard (and felt) what real music sounds like....I am running a 210 WPC Onkyo receiver,
    Onkyo CD player and an Ipod with 400+ albums on it....I also run a Technics SL7 Linear turntable with a Shure V15LT cartridge when I decided to listen to some vintage LPs....I purchased the SL7 in 1981. Speakers are Klipch 820's....No need for a subwoofer with these

I am also working on a vintage set up...currently a Carver M500 251WPC amp, a Carver C1 preamp, Nakamichi 480 cassette deck and Polk Monitor speakers...this was my college stereo...I need to get the Carver Amp recapped and some new belts for the Nak?
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being born deaf in one ear. Never been able to really appreciate the differences in music play back from the various sound systems every one had back in the 70?s
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just bought new speakers to go with the old JVC amp and turntable and a new CD player to top it off. :D Gonna put on some John Hartford.
  • Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,543 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    one of my wish I had items when younger . just once in my life I was at a friend of a BIL who had the reel to reel all out go for broke system do not recall all the names but I was envious :D
    I was amazed at the system and sound . he told me at the time all the funds were provided by his metal detector hobby .

25 + years ago I got a entry level component system bought 2nd hand realistic if I remember 100 watt . best one I ever had and was happy as a clam over it . a short time later lightning fried it :x :x
    I have never got another one . not with my hearing shot I doubt it would be as enjoyable :(
    now I just a cheap one in my garage I picked off the auctions
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oddly enough when I was just a few years out of the Navy I think around 1984 I bought a Onkyo system from Circuit City with a pair of Cerwin Vega speakers.

Later in 1995 I went to work for the hospital and my director of Engineering while I didn't know it at the time had been the salesman!

I was cleaning out the file cabinet getting rid of unnecessary items when I found the receipt with his name on it as salesman, sure enough the next day at work he confirmed he was working their while going to college!
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do enjoy our 5.1.2 Home Theater Surround System. However, for the purist of sound I prefer my 2-Channel system out in my room, especially vinyl!

Congrats on getting back to a stereo system!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!