In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Who Best To Ship M1 Garand

Sparty_76Sparty_76 Member Posts: 714 ✭✭
edited October 2019 in Ask the Experts
I have a sick M1 Garand to ship to Fulton Armory. They suggest USPS, UPS, or FedEx. I actually know how to ship the gun, but was wondering which of the three, UPS, the mail, or FedEx, would you experts choose to ship it. In my area UPS or US mail would be the easiest. I got a shipping container from Fulton. Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,179 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    think I may ask Fulton who they prefer, not sure any will pay off in case of accident, without a lot of hassle.......
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would insure it for full replacement cost on a nice match grade one. UPS then USPS then FedX
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Keep in mind that virtually every UPS and FedEx retail store refuses to accept firearms, which by law must declared to a common carrier. This means a trip the hub to drop off the rifle, and that can mean a long drive. The Post Office has no such restrictions and you aren't required to declare a long gun when mailing it. You can save a few $$$ in shipping by breaking the rifle down into the stock and barreled receiver and using a shorter box.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Consider purchasing a cheap under $12.00 foam filled headcase - one still in its cardboard shipping sleeve if possible ( ask at the store - one of the warehouse staff may be willing and able to snag you a suitable box

If you can obtain one or two pieces of warehouse pallet wrap heavy angle configuration corner board - it can be slid into the shipping box along with the plastic gun case - greatly structurally reinforcing the package...

Heavy use of tape and properly sealed ends.

Insurance is a great idea but the suggested packaging steps I have made that may cost under $20.00 should also be viewed as a form of packaging insurance

Added to the already made additional above referenced aforementioned steps should leave you in a good position.

Mike
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keep in mind that virtually every UPS and FedEx retail store refuses to accept firearms, which by law must declared to a common carrier. This means a trip the hub to drop off the rifle, and that can mean a long drive. The Post Office has no such restrictions and you aren't required to declare a long gun when mailing it. You can save a few $$$ in shipping by breaking the rifle down into the stock and barreled receiver and using a shorter box.

M/C is basically correct, however, it is up to the local store rules. My local Fedex is not a hub store and will accept long guns if they are packaged accordingly. Call first to make sure they will, and make sure you get the name of the person won the phone who told that you that they would, and try to make it down there on the same day that you speak with them.. My local Fedex store, which is not a hub, but a franchise, has been more than willing to work with me on all of the guns that I have shipped. Only problem is the time that I tried to ship a black powder gun to an individual w/o an FFL they were confused. Just took it down to the USPS office.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fedex regulations for shipping firearms & ammo must, by company policy, be made by their Hazardous Materials Section. You can phone them, & they are always helpful.

Firearms are accepted at hubs, or Fedex Office stores. Fedex Office stores are owned by Fedex, so they follow company prices & policy & have no choice as to what they will or will not accept. Every store manager has the Hazardous Materials Section phone number. The store may ask you to open the package & show them the contents, & they will reseal your package.

Any package > 36" in length requires manual processing, so that is where you will incur a huge "oversize" fee.

Neal
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reading is fundamental to offering the advice needed.
    I got a shipping container from Fulton. Thank you!

We would hope that after a conversation with Fulton that they sent the appropriate container for shipping the above rifle along with packing instructions.

As to which shipper to use, I've use all of them for seriously long periods of time and extraordinary amounts of money. I've shipped between 300 and 900 custom rifles a year for the last 15 years. During that period of time I have cancelled my UPS account for failure to follow through on an insurance claim which which was obviously their fault. FedX has been very reliable and flawless so far with our expectations. But we also use USPS when a client requests that service. I have used USPS more frequently than the other two and have never had a problem.

Now, on the subject of packing rifles for shipping. You cannot just grab a cheap plastic case and stuff it into a shipping box used to ship those cases. There is a round seal on one of the * on each box. That seal contains all the information shippers use to determine how much weight and how much stress one of those boxes will handle. If there is a packaging failure and you try to get one of the shippers to stand behind their insurance, the first thing they look at is that seal. If it does not match up with the weight and damage resistance to what is put into that box, they do NOT have to stand behind the insurance. This is fact. Trying to cobble together packaging from found material might sound really neat and frugal but only if nothing ever goes wrong. When it does go wrong, you will lose the insurance claim.

But, and I understand that shipping a rifle a couple times a year does not warrant buying special boxes and cases, so try to exercise the best thinking and sourcing materials you can. When in doubt, buy a really good case which is approved for shipping. It will save time, energy and money in the long run.

Best.