In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help with info on 2 old military rifles please

asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2019 in Ask the Experts
Neighbor gave me a Danzig Gew 98 unfortunity with a cut down barrel. It has "extra" parts like rear site, strap ring clip, stock pieces, rings etc. Ser# 6132. Any value here? She also gave me a "Ceskoslovenska" Brno V2-24 (8X57 mm) very good shape. Again any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    Put them on the auction. There are a bunch of folks, who specialize in rebuilding old military rifles. The W W I, G 98 is just a parts gun. But it might have value, to restorers of Imperial era Mauser's? Be advised, in the condition it's in. It will have to be transferred through a 01 FFL. As it doesn't qualify as a Curio & Relic.

You weren't specific about the condition of the Czech Mauser. If it hasn't been sporterized, could be of value to collectors? The VZ 24's, were made as contract rifles, for many different armies in the 20's & 30's. As the German's, couldn't manufacture them. Because of the the Treaty of Versailies, prohibited them from making rifles. Is their a national crest on the receiver ring?
  • Options
    AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't normally post - just lurk. BUT - I have received plenty of firearms that I couldn't receive on my Curio & Relic 03 FFL by receiving 02 FFL that is a pawn shop. Best Regards - AQH
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    asop wrote:
    Neighbor gave me a Danzig Gew 98 unfortunity with a cut down barrel. It has "extra" parts like rear site, strap ring clip, stock pieces, rings etc. Ser# 6132. Any value here? She also gave me a "Ceskoslovenska" Brno V2-24 (8X57 mm) very good shape. Again any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

There is no proper way to assign a value to anything let alone firearms without a hands-on examination or at least several detailed, sharp photographs. Your short explanation could have a value from a few dollars to a couple of hundred depending on the overall and detailed condition of those rifles.

So, take a few minutes to get your digital camera out to make a couple of overall shots then some detail photos of these rifles then post them for us to see. You can try a cell phone but most folks have no idea that the lens needs to clean for decent pictures. Try something even if you need to get a youngster to help with the posting, although it's much simpler now with the new forum software.

Best.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Over all the VX 24 is in pretty good shape. Just to left of the ser# on the receiver ring is the German eagle with a swasticka (sp?). directly under it. Her husband just passed and said he did some research and thought it was mfg. in 1927. Thanks
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps using a hand lens to look at markings. I suspect its a VZ-24 not V2 or VX.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vz._24

You can also do a advanced search on completed auctions, some should good pic's and prices.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    asop, there's a variety of VZ-24 rifles, you NEED to have pics to ID it first before any accurate info can be given on it.