In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sharps 1863 rifle #2

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
edited October 2019 in Ask the Experts
I need to pull out my flaydermans.

Heck if we were neighbors I would do the initial work for free just to get my hands on it...............northern Wisconsin here ;)
well I did get this 'shooting' the nipple was plugged and 'frozen' in place but I was able to clear it enough to shoot. I believe this was a civilian rifle as I can't find ANY acceptance marks (see similar rifle on the auction side). the 'pellet priming system appears to be complete and working but the clerk at the gun shop seamed a little confused when I asked him for some Sharps 1863 priming pellets. The bore is actually in pretty good shape, probably would get better with more 'brushing'.
iNJE6YXl.jpg
I tried some .54 cal sabots with 180 grn. .429 bullets and some 54 cal. (.530") round balls with 50 gns of 3f 777
V2EmoZRl.jpg
xHEI3Qrl.jpg
TozZh92l.jpg

Comments

• Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I can tell from your serial number I was beginning to suspect a commercial sale.

Look at the screw heads and the wonderful case and straw and blue colors inside the lockwork...

It's funny but almost none of the 3 band rifles seem to have survived - except for some unbelievable collectors examples - and what rifles are for sale all seem to have the patchbox which the various books say should be absent.

I think they got added later and are not original.

It's not a Harper's ferry or borchardt or sharpshooter model and no DST present...

Blue wonder for the bore will work miracles.

Amazing gun - amazing find - and shooting again.

Mike
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    well, after doing some more 'digging' I think this is a civilian rifle made up from rejected part(s), the serial number is in the 1859 model range and no government acceptance markings. still, an 'interesting' rifle.