In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Weaer Scope Bases for 1891 Argentine?

ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
edited October 2019 in Ask the Experts
I find there is not enough elevation left in a scope to sight in my 1891 Argentine Sporter. Cranked all the way up it still prints low. Front base is #46 with holes 7/8" o.c., rear base is #55 with holes 1/2" o.c. Rifle still has charging hump rear and rear base is angle cut to clear bolt handle. Any suggestions?
Regards,
ENBLOC

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    They sell base shims (or you could make some out of thin metal), you might need longer screws if you need more than 1. I have zero experience with that rifle, never really fooled with stuff before the 98.

added Awesome offer enbloc. When they went to this forum the private message system actually worked provided you had entered your correct info. I haven't used it since but I think it is still working correctly.
  • Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Before resorting to shims, try switching the #55 rear base to a #45 rear base. It is .396" thick compared to .310 " of the #55. That extra .086 should raise your impact.
    Hole spacing is the same for both bases.
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    enbloc
    I have a weaver #45 top mount base in my hot little hands..I have too much of this stuff...E-mail me your address and I'll send it to you... JIM... snake803 at juno dot com...
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you should be using weaver 45 rear and 46 front
    just because you could doesn't mean you should