In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Define loaded in various sporting arms.

penguin1penguin1 Member Posts: 97
edited November 2019 in Ask the Experts
pistol
lever action rifle/shotgun
bolt action rifle/shotgun
muzzle loader

Looking for legal definition for legal purposes

Thanks

Penguin

Comments

• Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it's going to be different in each state, just as much as they dictate what you can own and what you can do with them. you are probably want the definitions for your state.
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you got in trouble with your game warden, you better know the laws in YOUR state.
    A gagzillion years ago<I had a game warden pull up along side me in my parked truck eating lunch after leaving the woods.
    He said howdy then reach into the back seat and checked my Marlin 336 for any ammo.
    Found none in it, INCLUDING the tube mag. Said have a good day and good hunting.

Loaded means in most states , any ammunition in the gun, which could be in a mag or tube. Muzzle loader means NO cap on nipple. Flint locks means NO load in chamber.

A NY state game warden once told me if the gun can fired just by some movements of a person, it's loaded.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree my definition doesn't carry any water in your jurisdiction.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    As bushmaster already told you, the legal definition various from state to state. What specific state, or states, and let's limit it to no more than three, applies?
  • Options
    penguin1penguin1 Member Posts: 97
    edited November -1
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    CHAPTER 61- FIREARMS AND OTHER DANGEROUS ARTICLES

SUBCHAPTER A- UNIFORM FIREARMS ACT

? 6102. Definitions.

"Loaded." A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm. If the magazine is inserted into a pouch, holder, holster or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition, then the pouch, holder, holster or other protective device shall be deemed to be a separate compartment.
  • Options
    buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hmm, a muzzleloader doesn't actually have a chamber, does it... :mrgreen:
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As usual, Mark C has a very good answer. Here in VA, a muzzleloader is "loaded" if it has a cap in place and is charged with powder and ball- OR has powder in the pan for a flinter. According to the State Game Commission.