In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WTH? Insurance Deductions.

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in General Discussion
Just out of curiosity, I went back and looked at the last two checks sent to me by my former Co.
Two weeks of Vacation, and the last two days I worked. They made the normal deductions for Insurance, while telling me that "I had no Insurance since midnight day of termination." Cobra paperwork has yet to arrive and get filled out/returned with payment.

HTH, can they make the normal deductions, and take that stance?

Legally, I would imagine if they are making the deductions, I have Insurance. (My Insurance card has been de-activated.) When I went to the Pharmacy to get my Heart medication, they came back and said ("your Insurance is not going through.") Same with the VA when I called them back to bill my Insurance carrier. Same with the Co. I purchased my BPAP equipment from.

I was fairly annoyed, when I saw the deductions. You can not have it both ways.

Comments

• Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They screwed you.
    RLTW

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, well Legally - I believe they have just screwed themselves. ;)
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ken,

It's a mixed bag.

They are nefarious and immoral - but don't forget clueless lazy and stupid...

HR folk often are clueless about tax deductions and withholding and health insurance deductions and all the other myriad crap that is involved in payroll.

They also may not understand how such things work and what they cover and cobra and the rest of it completely...

But I agree that a top level decision has been made to screw fired employees.

Let's be clear they are legally obligated to give you what you are owed and have paid for - and they must follow the law on cobra and unemployment and such...

Just for laughs call the health insurance provider directly - bet they have different answers.

I don't mean to rile you up and get you twisted on thanksgiving.

Your HR guy is probably following corporate or management orders - and is both playing stupid and might actually be stupid - but he is still legally and criminally and morally culpable.

But wrapping your head around it today is not helpful.

Mike
  • JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought something smelled when they mailed you a check on your retirement account less taxes deducted....they should have given you the option to roll it over to another administrator of your choice to invest for you...the whole amount ;) You'll need that money much later.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

edited November -1
    I hear you Brother.

They may think I am Stupid. They may regret thinking that.

They did not mail me a check junkballer, merely the paperwork to roll it over, or receive it. (With all my totals in plain sight.) Thanks though.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's probably just laziness on the HR guy. It's easier to just continue the deduction as to figure out what really needs to be done and hope nobody raises a stink about it.
  • neacpaneacpa Member Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Either payroll department did not know you were terminated or just simply failed to remove the automatic deduction from payroll calculations. My bet would be on the latter.
    edited November -1
    neacpa wrote:
    Either payroll department did not know you were terminated or just simply failed to remove the automatic deduction from payroll calculations. My bet would be on the latter.

Yeah, well they had no problem canceling my Insurance card, in a timely manner.

Legally, (as far as I am concerned) they screwed up. Don't tell me "You have no Insurance." at the same time you make Insurance deductions from my Pay checks.

I have yet to receive any COBRA paperwork. Pretty much everything but.

Everything that has happened to me, (Knee, BPAP machine/equipment, Heart medication, ) has been "Out of Pocket." Hey guess what, Stupid.
    edited November -1
    Once dismissed you are persona non grata and a tacit enemy of the company and management and HR...

You are not an employee - they are not only no obligated to assist you they see their role as protecting the company from you and protecting their own jobs...

You might incite other workers to dissent or foment rebellion.

You may be in contact with the work force sowing the seeds of discontent and discord - causing disharmony aboard their ship.

Why will they not live up to their legal obligations or moral codes - cause they have done it before and done it repeatedly and gotten away with it...

Given your situation they are certain you will not hire a lawyer or contact the state agencies

Many HR folk have no souls and are nasty pieces of work.

Just food for thought.

Mike
    edited November -1
    Once dismissed you are persona non grata and a tacit enemy of the company and management and HR...

Given your situation they are certain you will not hire a lawyer or contact the state agencies.

Mike

Well, they might have made a mistake, in that respect.

I'd like to see how they explain to State Agencies, they're deducting Insurance from my last paycheck, 2 weeks Vacation, while telling me "Your Insurance terminates midnight tonight."
    edited November -1
    Ken,

I hope you realize that me responses are not meant as a criticism or attack - I figure you don't want things sugar coated...

I am trying to provide the devils point of view - or relate how I have been mistreated in the workplace...

To give possible insight into their behavior and tactics.

More often than not I can come off a bit rough.

Mike
    edited November -1
    Ken,

I hope you realize that me responses are not meant as a criticism or attack - I figure you don't want things sugar coated...

I am trying to provide the devils point of view - or relate how I have been mistreated in the workplace...

To give possible insight into their behavior and tactics.

More often than not I can come off a bit rough.

Mike

You are fine Brother. I do not need things Sugar Coated. I understand how things work.