In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Barnaul 7.62x39 125gr SP bullets for reloading

76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in Ask the Experts
I have two boxes of Barnaul bullets (250ct each) for reloading 7.62x39 and was interested in the history of these items. Looking on the net does not show these available as component bullets, only available as loaded ammo. Boxes marked "Bullet 7.62x39 SP 125gr 250 rds JSC Barnaul Machine-Tool Plant" and "Made in Russia". I am thinking they were likely imported in the 1990's maybe? Are these cheap import bullets for plinking or do they have any value to collectors? With the current prices some are paying for imported items like AK/ SKS that used to be considered 'cheap surplus' I was wondering the value of these. Here are a few pics:

V8saI1Jl.jpg

MOY4Hq0l.jpg

J43ipiAl.jpg

rMJjxcDl.jpg

6oz6QYHl.jpg

Jrzbf49l.jpg

*EDIT*
rufesnow,
The bullets stick to a magnet, so they are not completely copper jackets. Maybe Bi-metal? I think that term was used for some ammo

Added Pic:
Zba3qyFl.jpg

charliemeyer007,
Bought these many years ago in a lot on the auction side. Would not have considered it to be collectable but I thought I would ask since much of the once cheap import stuff is now bringing $$

TRAP55,
Thanks for the info. I remember vaguely about Wolff ammo issue years ago, but didn't pay much attention since I don't shoot steel cased ammo.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They look like good for shooting bullets to me. Lead soft nose copper jacket? Now if they were teflon coated titanium jacket tungsten core incendiary tracers they might be collectible, but that's just me. It never hurts to ask, IMHO.
  • Options
    rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    Never seen the bullets for sale, for reloading? Only the loaded ammo. Might have some value to a collector. Most of the Russian ammo I have shot in the past. Had a plated steel jacket. Wasn't copper. If these are copper jacketed? Very unusual, for the Russian ammo. Might be the reason they are so scarce. Could have a affect on their value. Give them a go on the auction. What do you have to lose?
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wolf is the ammo importer, they use to handle Tula ammo until they had a falling out, now they import Barnaul. It's been awhile but I remember the bullets for sale through someone like Gander Mountain? They were cheap, but thousands of rounds of milsurp was cheaper, so I doubt they were a big seller.