In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Luger DWM 1918 .30

OutdoorManOutdoorMan Member Posts: 8
edited December 2019 in Ask the Experts
Need some help on this one from a small estate. Did some research but so many differences and I can't find a sample that has the same "made in germany" stamps. Anyhow it looks to be in very good shape and all the exposed numbers match except for the mag - I have not field stripped but will if that matters much. What should I be posting this for? Images here: https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/Np5oO705Sk-sgqK3MWE6gQ.Ze2eHjaagTx8Zs5QNCn1eI

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    I'm not a luger 'expert' but the pistol has been refinished and probably rebarreled. it looks like a ww 1 9mm that was rebarreled and later imported.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your link doesn't work for me.
  • OutdoorManOutdoorMan Member Posts: 8
    edited November -1
    cleaned up the link - thanks
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    edited December 2019
    Your link doesn't work for me.

Does not work for me either. Link takes me to a page where I can sign up for Amazon Photos.

Ok, the link worked for me this time.
  • TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO doubt it is refinished, the. "Made in Germany " stampings really lower any real collectibility money.
    This would seem to fit into a beginning accumulator of foreign weapons collection. JMHO
    I assume you will be listing this for auction on G/B , I would start it at a penny with a reserve, and let it find its own worth .
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The "Made in Germany" stamp indicates it is a "commercial" gun, not "military". Probably model of 1908 or 1914.

The .30 cal bullet shown may indicate that the gun has the original barrel, but you need to measure the bore. .30 cal is basicly a necked down 9mm, which would be most folks' choice for a Luger that's to be used strictly as a "shooter". .30 cal is expensive, if you can find it, & is a pain to reload. So, not much demand for a heavily refinished Luger in an unpopular caliber.

Neal
    edited November -1
    Good advice, I will do that and see where it lands. I recall him telling me he paid $500 like 10 years ago
    edited November -1
    Neil, it has the military stamps on the right. The S/N on the barrel matches all the other numbers
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a late WWI gun rebarrelled to .30 because Versailles treaty didn't trust the Germans with too many 9mms, then marked for import to USA. Buffed hard and hot blued.

Stoeger was still selling the type in 1939, along with guns re-rebarrelled back to 9mm and new production .30 and 9mm.
  • rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    "Made in Germany", chambered in .30 Luger. With a barrel length of 3 7/8". Denotes what is known to collectors as a, "1920 Commercial" Luger. Red headed step child of the Lugers. Many thousands, made by various manufacturers. Primarily for export and sale to the U.S., in the 1920's.

Like all Lugers, they have gone up in value over the years. They are so common, not much collectors interest from Luger collectors. Best bet would be sale to a person, who just wants a Luger for their hoard.
This discussion has been closed.