In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt All American 2000 (remove extractor)

gnprtsgnprts Member Posts: 345 ✭✭
edited December 2019 in Ask the Experts
My shooting buddy traded for a Colt All American 2000 9mm knowing it has problems and now I need to remove the extractor for polishing.
The extractor fails to ride up over the rim and extract much of the time.
I have searched online with no luck other than finding that Colt used more than one type extractor.
I also found to run not walk from this Colt failure.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a thought.

I had one of these and it would fail to extract on 115G loads but worked perfectly on 124G and 147G loads.

Might be worth a try.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_RoFTWKAoY

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/colt/auto-pistols-colt/all-american-2000

Part 8, extractor is held in place by 28 extractor retainer and 40 spring. The usual procedure for this type of arrangement is to press the retainer down/in and back from the extractor (a little of both at the same time). All the parts should then wiggle free out of the slide, it is wedge in. A small metal pick is helpful. Pressing on the extractor in the direction it would go when riding over the case can help too. You will have to fiddle with it. Have clean work space in case the parts go flying. A large cardboard box with the opening facing you helps.

If all else fails, polish the extractor in place. Small Dremel felt tip or a small stone at slow speed. Good lighting, a padded adjustable angle vice and perhaps a magnifying visor will be most helpful.
  • Options
    rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    Best to either make or buy, 9 mm dummies. To safely check the extractor function. Controlled feed pistols are setup, so the bottom face of the slide, pushes the upper rim of the top cartridge forward. As the cartridge is pushed forward. It rises so that the canalure of the cartridge, is trapped between the rear face of the extractor and the breech face of the slide.

Inconsistent extraction can be caused by many factors. Over and above the extractor. I would start off by trying different types of ammo and a different magazine. Only if the problem persists, would I remove the extractor and start working on it.

The Colt 2000, was made in limited quantities in the mid 90's. Before getting the extractor out. I would make sure that you can obtain a correct replacement. If something is broken or wrong, with the original extractor. Or it gets screwed up getting it out.