In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Used Scope Values

wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
edited December 2019 in Ask the Experts
I've always operated under the concept that unless it's a higher end or sought after optic, a used scope had essentially no value. I now find myself with somewhat of a conundrum; I have a number of used optics. While none of them are high-end pieces, all have held zero and are functional, so I'd like to get a few bucks for them, to put towards some optics upgrades I have in mind.
My question; is there a source for finding the "realistic" value of used optics, which I'm apparently not aware of? Or, do I just decide how much I'd like to get for a certain scope and go from there?
TIA for your input
~Z

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you tried an advanced search on completed auctions for your items. Check what they are asking for them on ebay or at your local gun store.
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Higher end scopes that are still in business will still bring good $$ depending on model/condition. Other high end scopes that are no longer in production, but in good condition can also bring some good $$. Variables are worth more than fixed powers. American or European made seem to bring more than most of the Asian made scopes.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, I was always told that used scopes had no value, just throw them in when you sell a rifle. But, that is no longer the case. Except for rare military sniper scopes, the only commercial scope I would pay high dollars for are Leupold; they still offer a lifetime warranty to the current owner.

For other scopes, resale value increases with the photos you take, & the completeness of your description. Scopes & rings are no longer just measured in inches, some are in millimeters. Buyers will want to know what gun you had them on, plus what rings & mount you are including.

Neal

"Keep your expectations low enough, & you will never be disappointed."
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I buy several "used" scopes per year but only those with a 100% "no fault/no receipt" warranty. Even then, I wouldn't pay more than 50% of "street price" for a pre-owned scope(33% would be better).
  • rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    Flea bay would be your best bet, for finding out fair market value for older scopes. Last time i checked, there were always a new bunch being put up for auction.. Specially popular, are the older steel tube Weavers. Name recognition, has a lot to do with with FMV. Even though their optics, might be perfectly adequate for hunting. Don't expect to get big bucks for either Simmons or Tasco scopes.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wanted man wrote:
    I've always operated under the concept that unless it's a higher end or sought after optic, a used scope had essentially no value. I now find myself with somewhat of a conundrum; I have a number of used optics. While none of them are high-end pieces, all have held zero and are functional, so I'd like to get a few bucks for them, to put towards some optics upgrades I have in mind.
    My question; is there a source for finding the "realistic" value of used optics, which I'm apparently not aware of? Or, do I just decide how much I'd like to get for a certain scope and go from there?
    TIA for your input
    ~Z

For decades, sellers of firearms, especially rifles, found that there could be value added to the sale price by putting cheap rings and cheap scopes on their auction/sale items. To me this became a useless endeavor and deceitful on the part of the seller since the value of those parts was basically zero. So I as the buyer would either ask for a discount or better, ask that the scope and rings be removed before the sale. I have no use for a pile of $10 scopes taking up room in my shop.

Finding a source of scope values usually falls to the realm of the glass experts who publish books like the Blue Book but for scopes. I have never bothered with these so I can't tell you the titles or authors. Other members are more informed on this subject. Every manufacturer except the very top two or three makers have a secondary or tertiary line of less expensive scopes. March is the only exception I know of. These scopes are less expensive for a reason, they use cheaper materials and the resolution is less. The Primary name of the maker may still be on the scope but the quality is simply not there. The market for scopes, like nearly every other type of merchandise, uses a bell shaped curve of values vs market share. Less expensive scopes cater to a much larger percentage of the buying public. The top end scopes are reserved for the folks who want that quality and are willing to pay for it. Many respected gunsmiths have clients who routinely outfit their rifles with $3,000 - $4,000 scopes without batting an eyelash. Competitors often spend that much for one highly specialized scope but use rings which allow for switching it between rifles.

Selling moderate quality scopes by themselves will result in a lower inventory for you but don't be surprised at the prices you will encounter. I've seen reasonable quality scopes go for $50 - $150 due to the fact that folks just aren't willing to risk more than that for a scope of unknown quality. However, do not expect Swarovsky, March or Nightforce to be in that low price category. But they can be found at reduced prices under certain circumstances. Leupold is doing battle on the international front against the countries selling fraudulent (low quality) copies at surprising low costs. Far too many buyers get caught when thinking about their wallet instead of with their brain.

Best.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To get a general idea of what people will pay for a scope or any item go to flea bay, do a search for a scope in question and after the next screen appears showing what is for sale now, then on the left side, scroll down and select sold items and you will see how much previous models sold for.

The only used scope that I will buy now days is a Leupold due to the lifetime warranty. I have some of the Baush and Lombs used scopes but I also have a couple of the 4-16 AO models that have some issues hold zero and no freebie fix for them.

I heard a rumor that Bushnell will repair a Baush and Lomb scope under lifetime warranty, but Bushnell has left a bad taste in my mouth from previous experience in trying to get warranty repairs from them on scopes and other items so I just don't buy their products.
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mobuck wrote:
    I buy several "used" scopes per year but only those with a 100% "no fault/no receipt" warranty. Even then, I wouldn't pay more than 50% of "street price" for a pre-owned scope(33% would be better).

I second the motion made by the gentleman from Mobuckville.
    (Leupolds on Ebay)
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being in the parts business I get lots of scopes. The main name brands bring decent money on the auction side. Just list them with best description of the item. There are collectors of alot of older models. Now the cheap ones we put in box labeled 5 or 10 dollars.
This discussion has been closed.