In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

sleep study - well, that sucked...

llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
Did a sleep study last night. Compared to the one I did 15 years ago, it really sucked.

Dunno if it was the facility, the choice of equipment by the facility, or the people but I've not had a worse night of sleep since my old CPAP machine died and the circuits let the magical smoke out. I'm probably not even exaggerating when I say that I've had better rest sitting against a tree with a poncho wrapped around me during a heavy rainstorm while out hiking than I did last night.

No amenities at the facility - I've had better service and more options at a $40/night no-tell motel. I had to call and play the 20 questions game to find out if I'd be making coffee this morning over a small fire in the parking lot or if they at least had a k-cup machine to use. They intentionally block all wireless and cell signal (and while I have the skills to use an available ethernet jack and spoof MAC addresses and whatever else needed to connect some small minded administrative types consider that "hacking"), they do not allow electronic reading devices (but I could use my laptop? what BS is this?), etc. What made that bad was check in at 730, I was in the room at 735, and didn't see anyone else until almost 10.

On top of that, the equipment layout sucked - wires in both direction, had to ask to go to bathroom. No centralized wiring harness point, had to use a O2 nasal canula even though no O2 was flowing ("sorry, part of protocol"), the tech used enough tape to wrap a mummy, the way they attached the pulse oximeter caused my left radial nerve to go numb all night ("sorry, it has to attach that way"), etc.

Due to all of this, I really didn't go to sleep at all, was waking every 45 min or so, and will need to repeat the whole thing again.

Think I'll be calling some friends in the industry and see if the other facilities in town are set up similar. The one I had done 15 years ago used a sensible wiring harness (self service bathroom capabilities!), no tape, no nasal canula, offered snacks or dinner for those of us on a late schedule, woke me in the morning by delivering a cup of coffee, offered me a full breakfast, and provided a shower and towels....

Comments

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Copy your post then send it to the facility, your pulmonologist, and the editor of the local paper. Then, of course, do like you wrote and find another sleep lab.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry your experience sucked. My two sleep studies, one late Oct. the other Nov. 10th, were also not pleasant experiences. The staff (one guy on each time.) Were excellent and compassionate. There was no food, no coffee, no breakfast, etc. I simply could not sleep hooked up to all the monitor's and ephemera, not to mention the new sensation of the mask. If I got more than 2 hours sleep each night, I would be surprised.

The cost was about $3k - $3.2k per night. So my portion was around $300+ ea. Total of $600+. (Plus another $300 for the evaluation of data and the subsequent prescription.)

When Co- Workers asked me how it went, I described the ordeal as "miserable/horrible."

After purchasing my BPAP machine out of pocket, due to the loss of my job - I am finding that currently I can not use it due to the claustraphobic feelings of wearing a full face mask. I should be receiving in the next day or so a nose only set-up. I hope I can use it, but kind of doubt it will work for me due to my nose not working properly/mouth breather. I am somewhat desperate.

I hope things work out for you Sir.
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can do a home sleep study
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    danielgage wrote:

You can for the initial one. The first one is more a needless formality in my opinion. "Yep, You've got a problem." The one where they decide what type of machine is apropriate and adjust the settings as needed overnight is In-House only.

If you have already been on and prescribed a CPAP/BPAP, I doubt you have to go through the first one anymore.
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds to me like your night went very well .... for them.

Proof positive that they need to sell you some medical devices and services.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    danielgage wrote:

You can for the initial one. The one where they decide what type of machine is apropriate and adjust the settings as needed overnight is In-House only.

NO SIR

I did a home sleep study and then went to the place that sold the breathing apparatus machines and picked out the one I wanted to try and bought it
  • Options
    edited November -1
    danielgage wrote:
    danielgage wrote:

You can for the initial one. The one where they decide what type of machine is apropriate and adjust the settings as needed overnight is In-House only.

NO SIR

I did a home sleep study and then went to the place that sold the breathing apparatus machines and picked out the one I wanted to try and bought it

Some people have more complicated issues and symptoms than you apparently had. I am glad for you.

I immediately had to go to (was prescribed a BPAP machine.) I stopped breathing (on average) 39 times per hour. Other Health issues as well factored in.

I am glad your issues are not as severe as some.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    39 times per hour.

:o :shock: :?

Holy cpap batman!
    RLTW

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no breathing issues, even according to my wife. And I fall asleep pretty quickly. I just can't stay asleep. On a good night, I wake up every 90 minutes or so. On a bad night, it's every 45. And on a really bad night it's every half hour or so. And then I'll be awake from 2:00 until about 3:00 before I fall asleep again. I almost never have to pee during the night, but that's what gets me up permanently between 5 and 6 a.m. Then, I nod off during the day because I'm flipping exhausted.

My VA doc says I should go for a sleep study. Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth and also sounds like no matter what, they'll say I need some machine. No damn thanks.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    I have no breathing issues, even according to my wife. And I fall asleep pretty quickly. I just can't stay asleep. On a good night, I wake up every 90 minutes or so. On a bad night, it's every 45. And on a really bad night it's every half hour or so. And then I'll be awake from 2:00 until about 3:00 before I fall asleep again. I almost never have to pee during the night, but that's what gets me up permanently between 5 and 6 a.m. Then, I nod off during the day because I'm flipping exhausted.

My VA doc says I should go for a sleep study. Sounds like it's more trouble than it's worth and also sounds like no matter what, they'll say I need some machine. No damn thanks.

Yeah sleep studies and CPAP and such are for breathing issues, not not being able to go to sleep and stay there.

Have you tried taking melatonin? I know quite a few folk who swear by it...
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My sleep study was the oposite. Zero problems and they woke me up about midnight and said I could go home if I wished. they had enough data and I have been sleeping great ever since I got my machine. Im on the second one now and it took several masks before I found the one that I really like. I have never slept without it for the last ten years unless the power was off. I take it with me everywherel. It is the greatest thing for a good nites sleep I could encounter. For me it was immediate relief.
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The sleep study I did back in the day was also a real treat. Like you Ken, they said I stopped breathing an insane number of times per hour. So much so they kicked me out early about 0400. I was running an avg of 6-10 miles a day and was in top shape. Even with that, the doc said I?d probably check out before I was 50. CPAP was in its early days and I opted for some brutal damn ENT surgery in lieu of one. It worked for me fortunately however there were so many failures with other folks I?m not sure they even do it anymore. Hope your nose rig works out.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    llama wrote:
    What made that bad was check in at 730, I was in the room at 735, and didn't see anyone else until almost 10.

I would have been back home long before 10. Should have left them a note "I was here but you weren't"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    "Obstructive Sleep Apnea," is no joke. Those diagnosed usually do not last another 5 years beyond getting the adequate/appropriate treatment.

That diagnosis is a little different than the norm.

I fall, within those diagnosed as/with such.

I am trying to find something I can tolerate on my face without freaking out.

Received my Phillips Respironics Dreamwear nasal mask, earlier today. Made all the adjustments, nasal cushion size adjustments/replacements in order to get a good fit. I believe I can tolerate this. I am hopeful. It is designed specifically for those with "Claustrophobia, Sleep on their side, or are Active Sleepers." (That is me.)

Even if I do not breath through my nose, (normal) it will force a positive pressure ever 10 seconds, if I do not try to take a breath through my nose. (Mouth breather, due to nose damage.)

Will be trying it tonight.

If this does not work for me, I am at a loss, and do not know how to proceed. Hopeful.

One of the first things I intend to explore when I qualify for VA care, (Jan 1st.) Is Nasal surgery to correct my badly deviated septum due to my nose being broken multiple times, (and not set properly) condition.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Obstructive Sleep Apnea," is no joke. Those diagnosed usually do not last another 5 years beyond getting the adequate/appropriate treatment.

That diagnosis is a little different than the norm.

I fall, within those diagnosed as/with such.

I am trying to find something I can tolerate on my face without freaking out.

Received my Phillips Respironics Dreamwear nasal mask, earlier today. Made all the adjustments, nasal cushion size adjustments/replacements in order to get a good fit. I believe I can tolerate this. I am hopeful. It is designed specifically for those with "Claustrophobia, Sleep on their side, or are Active Sleepers." (That is me.)

Even if I do not breath through my nose, (normal) it will force a positive pressure ever 10 seconds, if I do not try to take a breath through my nose. (Mouth breather, due to nose damage.)

Will be trying it tonight.

If this does not work for me, I am at a loss, and do not know how to proceed. Hopeful.

One of the first things I intend to explore when I qualify for VA care, (Jan 1st.) Is Nasal surgery to correct my badly deviated septum due to my nose being broken multiple times, (and not set properly) condition.

I use that. It takes a bit to get used to keeping your mouth shut. Give it a good chance, it takes time.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "SLEEP STUDY"
    Interpretation: another way to extract money from a sucker.