In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New forums coming again

shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
Forums are changing yet again. If your auction side email doesn't match your account email you better get it changed. See the banner up top.

Comments

• Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    no no no more change I cant take it I tell ya :o
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So I just tried to change and I get an error "Registration Email Address can not be your username", the existing email address is no longer good and it has my user name@a no longer valid .com

I had 2 different passwords so someone couldn't use my computer to bid on something easily. My computer auto puts in my password for the forum. I have only one user name. All my email accounts are that same user name@ different.com

You know we lost a lot interesting people the last time you folks "fixed" stuff on the forum, I'm not sure I can figure out what to do this time.

So just in case Happy New Year, it has mostly been fun. Thanks for letting me play here for free.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just checked my stuff and everything appears okay.

I got totally hosed last time, and was very close to giving up. Could not get back in to the forums. I had to open up a new forum account, lost all my previous post count, user name, etc.

I am hopeful things go smoother this time around. Fingers crossed.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Evidently there's folks around that haven't learned the lesson about just leaving well enough alone...
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto just in case it's been real

:)
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,353 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1

You know we lost a lot interesting people the last time you folks "fixed" stuff on the forum, I'm not sure I can figure out what to do this time.

Thanks for letting me play here for free.

1) I think a lot of the "lost" people are forum members who did not have an auction side account. Requiring an auction account was nothing new, it has been a requirement for at least five or six years. Some folks managed to skate on that though until the forum change.

2) You could always change your email address. Having an email that is also a username has also been a no no for at least five or six years. New forum names since that time could not be like that, although some from way back were/are like that.

3) Yes, let us not forget that. This is a forum provided to us to use for free, by a for profit company............
  • Options
    GB MarketingGB Marketing Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 122 admin
    edited November -1
    So I just tried to change and I get an error "Registration Email Address can not be your username", the existing email address is no longer good and it has my user name@a no longer valid .com

It sounds as if you are trying to change your email on the auction side. Don''t change your auction side credentials (unless you have a non-working email on your auction side.) We need you to change the email on the forums side to match what is on your auction side account.

If you need help, please reach out to me at forums@gunbroker.com.
    Email me your email address on the auction side, and I can update it on your forums account. (Don't post your email here for privacy reasons.)
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just did mine and all are the same now.

Thanks for the warning
    RLTW

• Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My forum name and email has been the same since 2003 but my auction side name is different.. I had a forum account before auction side,, when I went to do the auction side in about 2004 someone else already had the name i was using on the forum side..
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,353 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my e-mail from auction side was made by gunbroker as I did nothing to register on auction side, that account is now locked as I cannot remember my password and have tried to many times to get into it, it won't let me change password to open e-mail account. my forum e-mail is different but it works, yet gunbroker will not let me change auction e-mail to forum account. my auction account was hacked year or two ago and haven't used it since and can no longer access it so I guess I will be saying goodbye......
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hillbille wrote:
    so I guess I will be saying goodbye......

Yep, I guess so. Especially if you do not reach out to the GB gurus for help, which has been offered above.
  • Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    hillbille wrote:
    so I guess I will be saying goodbye......

Yep, I guess so. Especially if you do not reach out to the GB gurus for help, which has been offered above.

Yep... :roll:

There's over a week to do the simple task of making your email match on both accounts by changing the one on the forums. Some people act like it's an impossible task that only a 20 year old computer hacker can accomplish haha.

If you are locked out of your auction side account that probably means you don't use GB auctions so then GB probably doesn't care if you are on their forums or not, however, they are extending their hand to help you through the process. Send GB Marketing above a message and I'm sure she will get you taken care of.
  • Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Thanks for letting me play here for free.

1) I think a lot of the "lost" people are forum members who did not have an auction side account. Requiring an auction account was nothing new, it has been a requirement for at least five or six years. Some folks managed to skate on that though until the forum change.

2) You could always change your email address. Having an email that is also a username has also been a no no for at least five or six years. New forum names since that time could not be like that, although some from way back were/are like that.

3) Yes, let us not forget that. This is a forum provided to us to use for free, by a for profit company............

i have to disagree that it's free ,if you where able to use the forums without having a buyer/sellers account then i would agree with your statement but every time you buy or sell something here the seller is paying GB which a VERY SMALL % goes to pay for the forums ,, you get rid of these forums and I would bet their sells would drop big time
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I changed my email on the forum side to match the auction side and it de-activated my account,,I sent GB Marketing a message to the link " forums@gunbroker.com. " they have in the post above and it was re-activated in minutes.. so dont panic if it happens,,just send a message"
  • Options
    Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have to disagree that it's free ,if you where able to use the forums without having a buyer/sellers account then i would agree with your statement but every time you buy or sell something here the seller is paying GB which a VERY SMALL % goes to pay for the forums ,, you get rid of these forums and I would bet their sells would drop big time
    And I would bet you would be wrong. Most auction users never sign up for the forums.

I signed up in 2006 for the sole purpose of asking a few questions on the Ask the Experts forum, but decided to stick around. Most auction users probably don't even know these forums exist.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are indeed A LOT of firearms bought and sold on these forums through GB. I have bought a ton off forum links by those offering up their auction or posting a link to an auction. These forums are my main source for locating firearms I am interested in. I do not "Search."

I am sure (hopeful) that the powers that be have seen and are aware of that.

Those of you who have hung out here for years, but have not bought or sold anything through and on GB, shame on you.
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only babys with dirty dippers like change, some even protest.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I established an account on the auction side this morning, to be able to continue on the forums. I have absolutely no intention of buying or selling - or even visiting the auction side. Is there a timeframe after which my account there and here will be deactivated?
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1

It is still free IMO. Sure you need an auction account, or supposed to have one anyway, but you are not required(as far as I know) to purchase anything off of GB.

I also disagree about shutting down the forums. I sure hope they do not shut them down, but if they did, the tally at the bottom of the gunbroker sheet would not change enough to hardly be noticeable.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Geri wrote:

That's because they're small undeveloped humans, and don't know any better. We are supposedly adults here........... :?:
  • Options
    badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the fair warning, looks like my stuff matches.
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Geri wrote:

That's because they're small undeveloped humans, and don't know any better. We are supposedly adults here........... :?:

Have you seen any actual evidence to suggest that might be true?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He Dog wrote:

That there are adults here? Not a lot sometimes.
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Being the tech Luddite that I am, I reached out thru the GBMarketing link HPD posted. Their reply was very quick, had clear and easy instructions on how to link both sides up. Had my stuff sorted out in no time. Thanks to HPD?s link info and GBMarketing.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, The internet galactic bit bucket appears to have coughed up a 'pass' for me to log in today.

Yes I had no choice to change my auction side stuff because I no longer use/have any .netscape.com. So all my stuff is to a non user name email account that I hardly ever check. In case you anyone emails me, don't expect an swift reply.

Thanks to anyone, that help the system find me.

Again Happy New Year may it be peaceful and profitable for one and all.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,992 ******
    edited November -1
    This will certainly purge the member roster,,,
  • Options
    edited November -1
    montanajoe wrote:
    This will certainly purge the member roster,,,
    Well it doesn't need to, but yeah, it probably will. Their choice after all.
  • Options
    Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Evidently there's folks around that haven't learned the lesson about just leaving well enough alone...

Bingo! Some of those tecki idiots can never leave well enough alone. Simply making changes to justify their position is like politicians. :twisted:
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If they go back to that horrible format with auction ads covering half the page, they'll lose a lot more. Driving folks away is counter-productive at best.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,648 ******
    edited November -1
    Wonderful! I was thrilled when they went to this format and can?t wait for it to change again. I really enjoy the click bait girls in skimpy clothes. I also like to keep my pop up blocker turned off. You never know what you might learn.
    As far as new and missing members, who needs them, anyway?
  • Options
    Wyatt BurpWyatt Burp Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Member since April 2007, never had an auction account.
    The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another "purge" will commence? Ain't there like only 30 folks posting? And occasional confused and pissed folks about the auction side that get ejected. Peachy.

At least the "google bots" will be gone?
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When this format was created wasn't it supposed to be temporary? It looks like it is combining passwords from both sides so only one is needed. My auction side password and forum passwords are different. Will both work after the change? Remember, I am easily confused so I hope it isn't to big a change. ;) Bob
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ah, yes- reminds me a small ghost town in Western Oklahoma. They decided to get all big town fancy, and put in a bunch of one way streets.

Everybody got out of town and could not get back in again. After a week they gave up and moved to Wichita Falls TX...??..
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He Dog wrote:

That there are adults here? Not a lot sometimes.

;):lol:
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The question is if there are adults in management, or only bean counters. Will they keep this message board format because it is clean, simple, and entirely functional? Or go to some horrible, cluttered, and unusable thing because it makes them more money?

Time - and attendance - will tell.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do ya think maybe we'll get a like button with the new forums? Golly, that'd make it all sooo worthwhile.