In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Night Vision And Body Armour

dav1965dav1965 Member Posts: 26,543 ✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
For some reason i have an above average number of guns and ammo. If i was arrested on tv i would be a radical nut that would be the worst to date.

However i have no body armour or night vision binoculars or scopes.

I am starting to think a night vision scope would be cool however what calibre would you put it on to get the best bang for your buck.

Also what name brand and model would be best. I know nothing about this type of scope.

I have 6 guns left that i want then i guess i will be getting extras like scopes and other things.

Comments

• Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have friends who are killing deer at crazy ranges at night but they are using state of the art military stuff that is very expensive. They are doing it at a training facility and it's legal.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would recommend a Accuracy International AWS in 30 Norma with a suppressor and a Night force scope with a PVS 14 or a thermal scope.
    RLTW

• drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I recently bought a set level IV ceramic plates and a carrier from this veteran owned US company:
    https://rmadefense.com/product/level-iv-hard-armor-plate-model-1155-set/

This night vision supposed to be really good. You want to wear it on your head vs. mounting it on a rifle.
    https://www.jrhenterprises.com/PVS14-High-Performance-HP-Pinnacle-Autogated-Night-Vision-PVS14.htm
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should get two, in case one breaks..... ;)
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,983 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I were to buy body armor I'd go with plate. I get no benefit from soft armor since I can't touch my toes so hard plate with deflector ability is for me. Also don't forget a helmet and one of those face black masks. Oh wait that'll make you a racist gun nutter. I wonder if they make slanted eye hole ones? No sense getting "round eye" ones for me since it'll just leave a larger holes for the bullets to come through.
    edited November -1
    yoshmyster wrote:
    If I were to buy body armor I'd go with plate. I get no benefit from soft armor since I can't touch my toes so hard plate with deflector ability is for me. Also don't forget a helmet and one of those face black masks. Oh wait that'll make you a racist gun nutter. I wonder if they make slanted eye hole ones? No sense getting "round eye" ones for me since it'll just leave a larger holes for the bullets to come through.

I've been doing some reading on helmets lately. Seems the Advance Combat Helmet (ACH) available on the surplus market is the best buy @ $169.
    https://www.mcguirearmynavy.com/products/us-military-advanced-combat-helmet-ach?_pos=9&_sid=31f02f237&_ss=r

A step up is the Enhance Combat Helmet (ECH) $300-$500 range on ebay.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/army-soldier-shot-in-the-head-reunited-with-life-saving-helmet-2019-3

Helmets go up in price from there. These allow you to wear electronic ear protection but run $900:
    https://www.revisionmilitary.com/en/head-systems/helmets/caiman-ballistic-helmet-system
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Good" night vision is expensive and most likely not even close to what our military is issued leaving you behind the curve from the start.
    Body armor MAY help but often you'll still be "wounded" so w/o field medics and immediate evac to a field hospital you're just postponing the inevitable.
    My home state doesn't allow nightvision for hunting(not even varmints/furbearers) so I'm not even in that market. If I feel I need NV and body armor, I'll just have to "source" those items from someone who no longer has need for theirs.
    edited November -1
    Mobuck wrote:
    "Good" night vision is expensive and most likely not even close to what our military is issued leaving you behind the curve from the start.
    Body armor MAY help but often you'll still be "wounded" so w/o field medics and immediate evac to a field hospital you're just postponing the inevitable.
    My home state doesn't allow nightvision for hunting(not even varmints/furbearers) so I'm not even in that market. If I feel I need NV and body armor, I'll just have to "source" those items from someone who no longer has need for theirs.

I agree on the NV. Expensive and illegal to hunt with here.

I figure I might, or might not, be able to slip on the body armor when something goes bump in the night pre-shtf/eotwawki.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own a German Military Entry vest. High collar for neck protection, removable shoulder covers, large velcro pocket on front for addition of a plate if you wish. Flektarn cammo. I figure if it ever comes down to me needing/wanting one, I'm gonna want something like I described. I do not plan on driving around in a vehicle in it.

There are other options out there besides the high $$ commercial choices, if you look/know where to look.
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One thing about Body Armor is it doesn't last forever. After wearing it for a year at a time in extreme weather conditions the "Soft" portion needs to be replaced. If the SAPI plates have been comprised they need to be replaced also, even small stuff like fragments from a mortar round or an RPG or even falling hard on them.

As far as NV goes get the best you can afford. I would say a PVS-14 would be my minimum. I am not sure if they have a "real" Gen 4 out yet but they have what is called Gen 3+ and its going to cost near $5K.

My unit didn't want my ECH, Armor or Rack when I retired so I still have them.
    RLTW

• ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on soft armor going south after age and/or ongoing use under extreme conditions Sam. Unfortunately, due to long term, typical bureaucratic agency nonsense, I found this out the hard way. Yeah, not fun at all.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree Jim, if it's gotta be done, do it right. Not pretty, not fun, be around to go home at the end of your tour.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only time I would ever be wearing my vest, is if things turned way bad, and more than likely - in my house only. Last resort/last stand. Not going to go down easily.

My vest, (which I was able to hand select,) had seen little to no use. (I can tell used, or well used gear, as I am sure you can as well.) Mine stood out in the selection. Crisp sharp, unfaded camo, (no sun faded stuff) stiff crisp unbent/creased vest. Like new condition. It has been stored/hung in a closet on a nice hanger, since I purchased it.

Will be one of the last things I utilize, I would imagine.