In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

5?F really make a difference.

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2019 in General Discussion
It's been in the 70?F in my condo all last week but this weekend it dipped in to 65?F in the condo and that's cold. Wish for those numbers in June but when it's cold outside, not cool. Sitting in front of my Heat$Less heater like those cave men in "Quest For Fire" and eating rib roast is pretty good.

I was re-watching "8 Crazy Nights" and I have to ask anyone soak their feet in a tub of hot/warm water? I wonder if I have a pot, tub or bucket big enough for my size 12 feet? I may need two containers for each foot. I should've bought those styrofoam coolers at Walmart when they were getting rid of them after summer. Maybe I should try to make sure I like it before spending money. Now a big * sous-vide machine in an insulated container would be good if for not the price.

Comments

• gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe turn your heat up?
    Are you caught up on all your movies?
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't you have some spare aquarium heaters you could stick in your pockets? Bob
  • rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    When it gets down to the 30's in the desert. Even with the heater on. I wear 3 layers of sweat shirts, and 2 layers of sweat pants.

Out shooting today, even with the sun out. It was in the 50's. Had to wear thermals, underneath the sweat shirts, along with a jacket. It still got right chilly on the quad, riding without a windshield.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gearheaddad - There are wall mounted electric heater from when they built the units (from the '80s?). I fear these will be more of a wall fire hazard.

Yes, I am all done with Christmas movies for this year.

BobJudy - Yes I do have some but I don't think they're enough. Even if I were to run a long * extension cords and a power strip to fill my pockets with aquarium heaters. The amount of watts I'd be running won't be enough. Also heating up stones and wrapping them in socks would work better in the pockets than aquarium heaters.

I really like my Heat4Less heater. I'm thinking of putting up a PVC framing around it and throw a blanket over the whole contraption so I can get in/under it and retain the heat.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,735 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    65* is right in the comfort zone IMHO.
    I shut the furnace off before Christmas and restarted it Sat night. I sleep in the unheated basement and the temp there was 45*---perfect sleeping temp for me. It did make showering a bit nippy but really, don't spend much time drying off and it's not that bad.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Turns out it is true that you feel colder when you're older. We keep the house at 70? and I still need a sweater on most days. Nights it drops to 65? and I need three blankets to sleep without shivering. I'm also dry as a lizard and itchy. Just this morning I wished for a hot tub filled with olive oil to soak my skin in. My ankles itch unbearably. I turn 73 in a few weeks.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old hunter's trick:

HAT!
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rocky Raab wrote:
    Turns out it is true that you feel colder when you're older. We keep the house at 70? and I still need a sweater on most days. Nights it drops to 65? and I need three blankets to sleep without shivering. I'm also dry as a lizard and itchy. Just this morning I wished for a hot tub filled with olive oil to soak my skin in. My ankles itch unbearably. I turn 73 in a few weeks.

I am closing on 74 and we keep the thermostat at 73. Wonder if I will turn it up a degree when I hit 74... :?

Happy Birthday in a few weeks! :D
    edited November -1
    Oh yeah? Well same to you, fella! ;)

Setting the winter therm to match one's age is a damn good idea.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    bustedknee wrote:
    Old hunter's trick:

HAT!

Oh I wear hats to sleep. One of those Peruvian knit jobbies or a hoodie with the draw string pulled tight (Kenny from "South Park" style :lol:).
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As we age, we lose the layer of fat under our skin. No cure for it, we just need to turn up the heat & wear more clothing.

All electric heaters require just about the same KWH of electricity to produce the same amount of heat. Maintaining a constant temperature helps, as your walls, ceiling, & floor retain heat (as well as cold).

Do not put combustibles (i.e., anything that will burn) within 36" of a space heater; that is a Fire Code requirement.

Neal
  • Quick&DeadQuick&Dead Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    65 degrees is not cold.

Thermostat is usually set at 68 degrees...nights about 64 degrees. One gets better sleep in a cool area.

I do believe some would never survive in the northern part of the United States where temperatures in the winter of -20 is not uncommon and fall temps around 35 - 40 degrees are considered 'T' shirt weather. :D
    The government has no rights. Only the people have rights which empowers the government.
    We have enough gun laws, what we need is IDIOT control.
    Blood makes you related. Loyalty makes you family.

I thought getting old would take longer. :shock:
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quick&Dead wrote:
    65 degrees is not cold.

old age and blood thinners will make you change your mind.......
    edited November -1
    Not just old age (although that's a large part of it) but also just sitting around in the house not exerting oneself. I can be warm to the point of a light sweat playing golf at 50? but just sitting here at the 'pooter and it's coolish at 70?

Our house is super-insulated top to bottom and all exterior walls. Helps a LOT to keep inside either warm or cool. I still find a need for a sweater - or a hoodie - on many days. Today, I did a stint on my treadmill, so I'm comfortable even after my shower. On lazy days, not.