In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Any experts in the S&W models 422, 622, 2206, 2213, and 2214 series?

bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in Ask the Experts
Any experts in the S&W models 422, 622, 2206, 2213, and 2214 series? I am specifically interested in the 622, but I think there may be a trend to them. I have a relatively early 622 that I purchased new, as well as a 422 I bought used as my first handgun. Since then I have bought the entire series, including the vent rib model 622's. It is these that have me puzzled. The early models use an anodized alloy frame in a silver finish and an actual stainless slide assembly. The 6" model of the 622vr I bought has a light paint job on it instead of anodized aluminum. It wasn't that apparent in the pictures. On the my 4.5" model VR model, it looks heavily painted with a slight 'krinkle coat' finish on it. Was this exclusive to the VR models? Or, did it appear in all the later models of the line. I believe all the VR's were produced the in the last year of production (1996).

I have the whole series, but only the two VR's have that finish. I assume it was likely a cost-cutting measure. Anyone else have any info on when they made the changes?

Thanks in advance.
Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.

Comments

• rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    I've owned a number of them over the years. The last ones were made/assembled in Holton Maine. After Smith transferred production, from Springfield MA. I don't know factually? But I always believed, they were just cleaning up leftover parts from the bottom of the bins. To make as many saleable pistols, as they could.

Saw a photo of one that hadn't even been blued. Looked like they just sprayed some clear coat Kryolan, on a unfinished steel slide. IMHO, because of this parts, "clean up". Likely to be all kinds, of weird variations floating around.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info RufeSnow. I had not really thought about the change in location. Out of all those that I have, it looks like the 'painted' ones were all in Maine. It could have been end of run type stuff, or perhaps that facility didn't have the equipment for anodizing.

I had always wanted both barrel lengths of the VR models. Now that I have both, they look cool, but I never gave one thought about the finish changing. It would likely seem then that all that model is painted since it was a '96 year only run.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • rufesnowrufesnow Member Posts: 241
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info RufeSnow. I had not really thought about the change in location. Out of all those that I have, it looks like the 'painted' ones were all in Maine. It could have been end of run type stuff, or perhaps that facility didn't have the equipment for anodizing.

I had always wanted both barrel lengths of the VR models. Now that I have both, they look cool, but I never gave one thought about the finish changing. It would likely seem then that all that model is painted since it was a '96 year only run.

Be happy that you got both of thm. Only ran across one for sale, a couple of years ago. Let it get away from me. It was the short barreled model.

I've been interested in these Smith 22's, (422,622,2206,2213 & 2214's). For going on 10 years now. i regard them as sleepers. As they weren't a successful design for Smith. And were only made, for about 8 years.

In my area of the country. There not real common, specially the 2206's. I had one in 6", with adjustable sights. But cut it loose. Finally got the 4 1/2", with fixed sights. That I've been hunting for years, last month. As a matter of fact. Really happy! Made my day. Guy who was selling it. Didn't know or care what it was. Selling it at the price, of the standard aluminum frame version. Even less. As some of the local scalpers, are trying to sell them @ $400+ nowadays.