In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Sales ruses that just pizz you off.

chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭

Trying to think of the worst, but when I see "Price to low to list" I learned they mean exactly the opposite and I wasted my time.

When I get emails or mailing from very well known sellers such as some located in MO or SC to name a few, they are immediately deleted or end up in the fireplace. 

Any more you can think of?

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,294 ******
    Free, just pay the EXACT same price it's worth in shipping.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,486 ✭✭✭✭
    I realized a couple of weeks ago that Kokanee beer has shifted to 11.5 ounce bottles.
    Do not know how long they have been doing this, but if this is part of the USMCA, I am not amused.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,294 ******
    I realized a couple of weeks ago that Kokanee beer has shifted to 11.5 ounce bottles.
    Do not know how long they have been doing this, but if this is part of the USMCA, I am not amused.

Maybe you can "find" a mouse in your bottle and get free beer, eh?
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,665 ******
    Why is it that TV advertising thinks it’s better to have their pitchman speak with an British or Australian accent?
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,379 ***** Forums Admin
    edited January 2020

Maybe you can "find" a mouse in your bottle and get free beer, eh?
     ;)  ;):o It's the water and a lot more!

As for me on the OP, ANY sales "ruse". If people/companies need to resort to monkey business/slight of hand to sell their crap, they are not selling to me.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    major auto dealers the scream $10,000.00  OFF LIST PRICE.......list price is a pie in the sky  nonsense number.....  SALE for only $46000.00  then add 6 numbers onto that during the paperwork .....do NOT play that game anymore.....or screaming ads  on the tv.........
  • Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    us55840 said:
    jimdeere said:
    Why is it that TV advertising thinks it’s better to have their pitchman speak with an British or Australian accent?
    Maybe they can't get a job in their home country and need something to eat ?
    I'd rather listen to Larry the Cable Guy than some limey or aussie pitching some crap I really don't need!
  • Options

Yep downsizing. We have been buying ocean spray cranberry sauce for years, this year they downsized their product as well. The only thing that was not downsized is the price.. 

• Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,241 ✭✭✭✭
    Occasionally in the past in our flyers and what not we send out I have put "$too low to list", that is because certain companies like Glock, Benelli, Vortex, etc. have MAP pricing and they will put you on a no sell to list if you advertise a product for less than they tell you you can.  Of course in a flyer that has like 40 guns on it there are only 1-2 products that we do that on and only when it is a screaming deal that our customers won't find elsewhere at the time. 

Many of them that have MAP pricing don't really care what you ACTUALLY sell it for, they just don't want a massive "race to the bottom" in advertised price hurting their brand value.
  • Options
    chiefr said:

Yep downsizing. We have been buying ocean spray cranberry sauce for years, this year they downsized their product as well. The only thing that was not downsized is the price.. 

Very possible this is simply a way to get us to eat and drink less so we will live healthier, more productive lives.  

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    chiefr said:

We have been buying ocean spray cranberry sauce for years, this year they downsized their product as well. 

We quit buying Ocean Spray during the great cranberry scare of 1959. 
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,593 ✭✭✭✭
    Car Dealers are the worst...

What kind of monthly payment can you afford ???

This baby is only 475.00 monthly...…..they don't want to tell you that is for 72 months...

I have paid cash with trade in for the past several vehicles we have purchased.  That really messes with them since they make a good chunk on the financing of the vehicle...

• Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,364 ******
    They always get you on the extended warranties.  If you buy into them.  That includes everything from automobiles to toasters. 
  • Options
    Brookwood said:
    They always get you on the extended warranties.  If you buy into them.  That includes everything from automobiles to toasters. 
    Have bought 1 extended warranty.  A 2006 Jeep Commander.  Deal was that if I didn't use it, 100% would be refunded.

I did not use it and the company sent me a check for the full amount.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭
    The classic ruse phrase is "up to". Because it always means "less than."
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    gruntled2gruntled2 Member Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    #1. Buy one get one FREE. Of course they never say how much you have to pay for the first one. If you fell for it you would find the price is at least double the regular price.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,572 ✭✭✭✭
    William81 said:
    Car Dealers are the worst...

What kind of monthly payment can you afford ???

This baby is only 475.00 monthly...…..they don't want to tell you that is for 72 months...

I have paid cash with trade in for the past several vehicles we have purchased.  That really messes with them since they make a good chunk on the financing of the vehicle...

I worked with a  couple (husband &  wife ) about 20 years ago they went to get a new custom van even  traded in a car they were driving and a project car the husband had  (a 59 elcamino )
       any way they thought they were dealing on the price , as you stated the dealer ask how much to you want to pay each month .           they were thinking it was a 4 year loan they were basing there  price  on  when  giving there top number .. wrong.. after it was a done deal ( there fault for being stupid )  they received the payment book  about a month later looking at the  contract they had signed found out it was a 7 year loan . they were mad  . I suggested I would never speak of it again  :o
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    I use a fake Email and phone number because once they get your info they won't stop harassing you
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭

Yep, 90% off.

Off of what??

$15,000 of of the MSRP. (our MSRP)

Heads up. Don't bend over.

Bernie says it should be free.

Lots of Democrats believe such BS.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    How much you are going to save.
  • Options
    and another thing....matches ...used to get a big box of diamond kitchen matches that when you scratched one up it would light like a road flare...light up a barrel of damp trash in a stiff wind......NOW ya get a box of micro tip matches that are fireproof and need 5-6 in a bundle to equal the old REAL matches.....keep a can of gas handy to get anything going with them.....made with recycled material & politically correct wood ...since 1881 the quality has gone to >>>>>
  • Options

Any AH, that calls my private cell phone #, trying to sell me Anything.

• Options
  • Options
    Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

I've actually bought Kokanee beer in MN!

• Options
    Forgot, resort fees at hotels especially when they don't list them up front. I understand there is legislation being proposed to stop that. WAAAAY TOO LATE!!!!! Some hotels add a "resort fee" that is higher than the room rate they advertise.
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,364 ******
    I don't buy into any of those "gimmick" TV advertisements that are rampant on every channel these days.  But the part of my brain that discerns a rip-off and my neck hairs stand upright when the offer gets doubled. Just add an extra fee!
    Then, you can read that there is a "DELUXE" version available on just about every item being snake oiled to the public. 
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Item must be placed in the Cart for the LOW, LOW price.
    Resort fees keep the room rate low for positioning in searches. The new legislation, if passed, will simply roll those resort fees into the room rate resulting in higher search positions. Then the 'tourist tax rate' (11%-13%) adds more to the coffers. Listed separately, resort fees fall into the local, lower tax rate. Resort fees are no different from HAZMAT fees charged by UPS and FEDEX, it's a profit center just like insurance fees.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    The classic ruse phrase is "up to". Because it always means "less than."
    This reminds me of a particular phrase that goes all over me:
    "You could save up to 100 dollars, or more."
    Apparently they don't understand the "up to" phrase.

Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Occasionally in the past in our flyers and what not we send out I have put "$too low to list", that is because certain companies like Glock, Benelli, Vortex, etc. have MAP pricing and they will put you on a no sell to list if you advertise a product for less than they tell you you can.  Of course in a flyer that has like 40 guns on it there are only 1-2 products that we do that on and only when it is a screaming deal that our customers won't find elsewhere at the time. 

Many of them that have MAP pricing don't really care what you ACTUALLY sell it for, they just don't want a massive "race to the bottom" in advertised price hurting their brand value.
    I've seen that and understood why the retailer needed to do it.  I never found it an issue.  I've also seen the ones online where you have to place the item in your cart to see the price for the same reason.  Of course I'm sure some people use it other ways.
  • Options
    I only participated in 1 auto dealer purchase in my life. Well, technically two, but the one when I turned 18 I found out about the car through a classmate and the dealer was a "booster member" for the school and knew me so he gave me a good price, not a steal, but good.

I too absolutely hate most car dealership ads. Here in OK, we have two majorly annoying screaming on the radio types. I'll be in the shop working, and I'll about break my neck trying to get to the receiver's channel changed. Ironically, another dealership mocks them in their commercials. Those yelling dealers are the type that charges very high paperwork fees.

Speaking of buying cars. My sister-in-law had read some books on buying new cars. Their best suggestion was to fax (then) or email (now) EXACTLY what you want. What options, color, etc. At the bottom write that you'll pick up a check from the bank so will need to know the exact amount that it will take to drive off the lot. All but one has paid attention to the last place. Before one does that, set up a dedicated account like Hotmail or Gmail that is just for spam or for this one instance. Then, after you buy one, you can delete the account. She gets one every 3 years or so and has done this every time. She has found one or two dealerships that are consistently low every time so now she starts the process with them.
  • Options
    Oh, and another one... Rebates. Personally, I always just consider the cost of the item without the rebate. If it is worth it, I buy it. If not, then I won't. For any with a decent dollar amount, I will send it signature required. I have gotten money several times when they said they didn't get anything. I said "really, John Doe" signed for it 11/25". They said they'd look into it. 2 days later I had the rebate check with no further communication.
  • Options
    went up to bigger town to stock up on some items we cant get here...now a sack of our flavor dog food is 28.5# instead of 30#...hard to find as they usually have 15# bag @ $2.53#  whereas the 28.5# bag  is $1.96#  significant price diff per #
  • Options
    Oh, and another one... Rebates. Personally, I always just consider the cost of the item without the rebate. If it is worth it, I buy it. If not, then I won't. For any with a decent dollar amount, I will send it signature required. I have gotten money several times when they said they didn't get anything. I said "really, John Doe" signed for it 11/25". They said they'd look into it. 2 days later I had the rebate check with no further communication.

I too cant stand the dishonesty I have seen with rebates. One I sent took 6 months and I have has several sent back for some nit pick technical issue. 
  • Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    Two
    Current; If I'm elected
    Past: Corinthian leather
  • Options
    The only problem I have with rebates is paying sales tax on the amount rebated. Also postage if that is required.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    major auto dealers the scream $10,000.00  OFF LIST PRICE.......list price is a pie in the sky  nonsense number.....  SALE for only $46000.00  then add 6 numbers onto that during the paperwork .....do NOT play that game anymore.....or screaming ads  on the tv.........
    I've often wondered it DODGE can knock $16,000.00 off MSRP before you start to deal with the dealer,  how much do they have it overpriced to begin with.  :s
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,967 ✭✭✭✭
    "If I, will you"  never liked that one.
  • Options
    Worse yet are the idiots that buy the larger size cup.