In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Oh Crap!!!!

BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,371 ******
On Tuesday this week, I made a trip into town for some groceries and to fill my tractors gas can with diesel fuel.
I have this special type can that is sold by my Kubota dealer that is a long 5 gal easy dispensing push nozzle. I always in the past laid the can on its side after fill ups with no problems. 
Well, you all probably know what my post is leading up to but before I get to the point, there is a bit more to share.

I have mentioned in the past about always taking my two dogs along to most places I go to. Tuesdays trip was no exception.  After filling the diesel can at the big stores gas station I parked in the stores lot and went inside to shop.  Took about a half hour then out with my cart full of groceries and popped the back lid of my KIA Sportage to load up.  My posts title will reflect in a nice way what I said in a loud voice at that point! Actually, I used another four letter word that I rarely use.  The diesel fuel had drained out into the cars enclosed rear section. Down over the rubber mat and through the carpeted lift lid and into the spare tire storage area. 

I immediately turned the gas can upright and noted that about a third of the fuel had been lost. Checked on the dogs and very happily noted they seemed to be OK (had the windows cracked a couple inches) and there was no fuel in their back seat area of the car.  I managed to get my groceries into the cars front end and some on the floor in the back and proceeded home with all the windows wide open.

Got all the spilled diesel cleaned up using old cotton towels and washed everything with Dawn dish soap. Have left the car wide opened outside the garage trying to get rid of the strong diesel odor but so far It is not going so well!   I am very hopeful that someone here can offer me some suggestions with this predicament!

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long winded ranting!

Comments

• Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,455 ✭✭✭✭

Try this solution hot water, ammonia, washing soda and vinegar into a squirt bottle when I had my business had a employee spill about 5 gallons in the back seat of a pickup. This was recommended by a local company that cleaned up hazard waste spills.

• Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭
    After using that solution to clean up spread coffee grounds all thru the area. let sit a day or two. Vacuum up an repeat. 
  • Options
    Many thanks fella's!  I will have to find some washing soda but I have all the other stuff needed.   I hope washing soda isn't a baking soda type product as you all know what happens when you mix baking soda with vinegar! 
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

It will foam not as bad as baking soda just remembered I didn't use a squirt bottle but a small bucket and a sponge because of the foaming wish I could remember the ratio for each item but it was at least 10 years ago

• Options

Found the ratios

• 1/2 gallon of hot water
    • 1/4 cup of ammonia
    • 1/8 cup of vinegar
    • 1/8 cup of washing soda

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,302 ******
    mmppres said:
    After using that solution to clean up spread coffee grounds all thru the area. let sit a day or two. Vacuum up an repeat. 

That seems like a good way to remove odor and to get coffee stains everywhere. Probably a more preferable thing to do would be to lug around a couple bags of charcoal and some stacks of newspaper for a while.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    arraflipperarraflipper Member Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭
    Never lay down a full can of fuel, problem solved.  I have spilled it in the back of my truck, have had to work all day with it all over my pants. Eventually it will go away or you will not notice it so much  
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    Febreeze is your friend.  Kerosene that leaked into carpeted car floor.   
    And washing soda is sodium carbonate.  check hardware stores.  Not in the baking aisle.  
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,665 ******
    What are you worried about? It’s a Kia!
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
     Many people laugh at it but u-tube has saved me many $ on crazy DIY things like this, it's worth a try and it's free   ;)

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    My brother Chuck came to my rescue by letting me borrow his ozone machine!  Yup! A new one for me, as I did not have a clue when he showed me how to set it up in the car.  Chuck is the ultimate sportsman. Has every toy that a hunter\fisherman could ever think of or imagine!  He uses the ozone maker to mask his scent while hunting various critters. 

Machine ran all night then I recharged the battery and let it run a second full cycle.  Diesel odor nearly unnoticeable now.
    I appreciate all of your reply's to my predicament!  Learned a valuable lesson and shall not repeat!