In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Pup Progress

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2020 in General Discussion
January didn't turn out like I planned.  The plan was to hunt Bo most days this month while squirrel season was in and a few nights while * season lasted.  But family issues prevented that.  None the less I managed to get 1/2 dozen squirrels out to him in the time we had and he's treeing well, a good chop mouth on the tree.  I can't call him a squirrel dog yet but he has the makings.   He'll be 9 month old here in about a week.   I shot a squirrel out on him this morning.  

I wish I lived on a farm again so he could get more trail time.  It does wonders for a pup to be able to run tracks regular.  It doesn't really matter what they're running as long as they are, you can break them off of trash later.  The best * hounds I've ever had got they're start running rabbits as young pups.

Edit: LMAO, I guess the word censor is biased towards us country boys.  Masked furry critters most be properly spelled.   Some how "raccoon hound" just doesn't sound right.

Comments

• NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Does it work if you put a 'postrophe in front of it?   '* hound...
    Edit: Looks like!
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,345 ******
    edited January 2020
    Koon hound   khun hound   :D   We just have to become more phonic schmart!
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like he is coming along.

This morning my 2 Golden's flushed a chipmunk and the big Hawk got him.  When we are out the Hawk always comes and sits in a tree.  He uses the dogs to flush game. 
    RLTW

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Sam06 said:
    Sounds like he is coming along.

This morning my 2 Golden's flushed a chipmunk and the big Hawk got him.  When we are out the Hawk always comes and sits in a tree.  He uses the dogs to flush game. 
    Smart hawk and it's something to see when one makes a catch..  I've seen hawks drop out of the air and hit birds birds when they flushed in front of dogs and others take a look out post when someone is bush hogging.