In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Do any of you have one of them new fangled infrared grills????

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
Our gas grill needs replacing.  It would cost more to fix it than it would to buy a new one.  So I was up at Lowe's a little while ago looking at grills and was reading the advertising on this one infrared grill.  The blurb made it sound like the greatest thing ever.  More even cooking, less gas used, blah, blah, etc. etc.  So, if you have one of these new fangled grills does it really do a better job of cooking or is this just another way to try and part the customer from his money with no real benefit??  Thanks all!!

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    Unless your grill is structurally toast, you can simply get a set of Grill Grates and transform your grill into a cooking perfection machine. There are a bazillion YouTube reviews. Their website is ttps://www.grillgrate.com
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    When mine went belly up, I went with a Green Mountain Pellet grill. 
    I do not regret the purchase one bit. 
    Love the way the food tastes. 
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    We had one which we left with the house when we sold it a couple of years ago.

There were three things about it that were very nice.
    1. Virtually no flare ups with well marbled or fatty meats.  Made it easy to grill pork chops.
    2. Cast iron drip pans worked well as a place to toss wood chips to give meat a good smokey flavor.
    3. Very east to clean.  Remove drip pans, clean them up and put them back in.  Burners stay clean and last a lot longer.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about outside grills but we have a WOLF stove with an infared charbroiler and the infared charbroiler works great.
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Have one.. needs drip pan replaced... burnt out.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******
    I only have one recommendation and that is to take a lil magnet with you when you shop for a new grill, and if the magnet sticks to the grilling grate, pass on that model and move to the next one. 300 series stainless will last you years and years.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    Once again on Grill Grates. They're as good as all the hype.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭
    Commercial broilers are often infrared. Probably built a lot tougher but last a long time even though they are used more in week than the average person will ever use his in a lifetime. Bob
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭
    I have one like us55480 has. Yeah, what a mess to clean and it needs it all the time. I go through 3 pairs of latex gloves and have a dedicated wire brush for it. I suppose if I was cooking a volume of food it would be fine. It does a fine job cooking anything. It just gets fouled too easy. I might try it without the rippled plates one time and see how it does.