.25-25 Stevens,,,, EDIT: RANGE REPORT ,,,,,

forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 20,101 ✭✭✭
Loaded a few ‘trial’ rounds with 5gr. of Unique. Ordered 86gr. hard cast bullets but they actually weigh 91gr.

Charlie, when fired I’ll get you the case measurements.

Comments

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Member Posts: 35,215 ✭✭✭
    Cool! I am enjoying following this. Those cases sure look long, what is their length?
  • forgemonkeyforgemonkey Member Posts: 20,101 ✭✭✭
    Cool! I am enjoying following this. Those cases sure look long, what is their length?
    HPD,,,,,,,2.37” case length ,,,,,,,,,, 
    Wow, that's long it seems. Does it take a case that long to hold what I'm assuming would be 25 grains of black powder?
    edited February 19
    Wow, that's long it seems. Does it take a case that long to hold what I'm assuming would be 25 grains of black powder?
    Can’t answer that. I’m using smokeless in my testing. I would presume it would be a full case of BP.
    I have some Triple Seven,,,,,,I’ll weigh 25gr. later today and see what that looks like, even though there would be a slight difference in volume re BP.

EDIT,,,,HPD, I weighed 25gr. of Triple Seven and that would be way too much for the case volume. Below is the conversion table for 25gr. BP to 777 ,,,,,,illustrates the difference.
    https://www.curtrich.com/BPConversionSheet2005.htm
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭
    Nice project!
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
  • toad67toad67 Member Posts: 9,583 ✭✭✭
    Neat, how does it shoot?
    toad67 said:
    Neat, how does it shoot?
    Toad67,,,,,if I finish a pistol today, I’ll shoot the .25-25 tomorrow,,,,,,,
    edited February 21
    Looks like it might be a shooter,,,,,open sights and my 'ol eyes is stretching it to the max ,,,,,fouling was not much more than my .300 Win Mag. or my 30-06,,,,,no extraction/ejection problems.

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 630 ✭✭✭
    You need to drill some holes and screw a big ol scope on top.
    You need to drill some holes and screw a big ol scope on top.
     I looked at a Malcolm,,,,,,a little pricy,,,,, :#

• nononsensenononsense Member, Moderator Posts: 10,296 ******
    Winner! Good job.

Best.

• Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭
    Well done! Congratulations!!!
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭
    Looks great. How many yards is that group????
    I just now seen this post after I posted in the experts section about using filler take 2.
    Next time you go to check a group point the barrel down first then gently bring back to Horizontal for a shot then point the barrel up then gently level and fire. See if the group changes any with the powder at different position in the case.
    You might also see if 5744 will work in that caliber. Note what I indicated about using pistol primers for low vel loads.
    edited February 25
    Okie743 said:
    I just now seen this post after I posted in the experts section about using filler take 2.
    Next time you go to check a group point the barrel down first then gently bring back to Horizontal for a shot then point the barrel up then gently level and fire. See if the group changes any with the powder at different position in the case.
    You might also see if 5744 will work in that caliber. Note what I indicated about using pistol primers for low vel loads.
    Shot at 50yds. off sandbags(see above target),,,,need to move front sight .015” to left. I will be using Trail Boss for next trial. TB will come close to filling the case. 
  • OkieOkie Member Posts: 177
    Okie743 said:
    Shot at 50yds. off sandbags(see above target),,,,need to move front sight .015” to left. I will be using Trail Boss for next trial. TB will come close to filling the case. 

I've never tested Trail Boss. let us know the results?
    The 5744 powder that I mentioned if you do not see it listed for a caliber load recipe on their on-line site or in a reloading manual you can email them about loads suggested and they (western powders) usually respond promptly with a suggested load recipe.

Okie said:
    Okie743 said:

I've never tested Trail Boss. let us know the results?
    The 5744 powder that I mentioned if you do not see it listed for a caliber load recipe on their on-line site or in a reloading manual you can email them about loads suggested and they (western powders) usually respond promptly with a suggested load recipe.

"Oakie,,,,,Western Powders has no definitive recommendation for the .25-25 Stevens.

"Oakie,,,,,Western Powders has no definitive recommendation for the .25-25 Stevens.

That is really not a surprise since that rig may have been a black powder gun. (smokeless powders pressures can have varying pressures, etc so Western powders may not even recommend or commit to a load) I've got lots of low velocity loads for Centerfire smokeless rifles from them for 5744 use as a low vel load by emailing them.

Did you email them stating bullet weight, etc for a recommend load???

Also do not get me confused with OAkie. Have not heard from this OAKIE in awhile.

I'm just Okie with no A!!!!

These NEW forums are not user friendly for me yet, getting quote from just a previous post ONLY, etc.!!!!!!!!

Okie said:

That is really not a surprise since that rig may have been a black powder gun. (smokeless powders pressures can have varying pressures, etc so Western powders may not even recommend or commit to a load) I've got lots of low velocity loads for Centerfire smokeless rifles from them for 5744 use as a low vel load by emailing them.

Did you email them stating bullet weight, etc for a recommend load???

Also do not get me confused with OAkie. Have not heard from this OAKIE in awhile.

I'm just Okie with no A!!!!

These NEW forums are not user friendly for me yet, getting quote from just a previous post ONLY, etc.!!!!!!!!

Okie,,,,,,yes they had the bullet weight. I’ll continue testing with the Trail Boss, for now.
  • SoreShoulderSoreShoulder Member Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭
    Isn't the whole point of the thing to keep from compressing your crumbly BP into a bottle neck?  I would think a shooter would want BP to get the full experience.  
    I've been interested in those for a while now but prices are kind of steep for guns and cases.

edited March 4

soreshoulder asked:
    Isn't the whole point of the thing to keep from compressing your crumbly BP into a bottle neck? 
    I'm not really sure what forgemonkey  is thinking by trying smokeless powder, but my opinion is smokeless powder will leave the gun cleaner after each test and probably make it more likely to be shot and enjoyed due to not having to give the gun a good cleaning after each test. Black powder is very corrosive to both the inside and outside of a bl;ack powder gun and cannot be ignored after each time it's shot before storing. 
    I would bet that back in the old days of black powder rifles that lots of  the barrels were probably rougher than a corn cob inside and probably outside also. Just my opinion from using modern day black powder rifles.