In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old Sears Roebuck Catalog home in Tennessee

m88.358winm88.358win Member Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭
Home from an era when one could be ordered via catalog (some assembly required I am sure).

So, I know it isn't the grandest or nicest of homes. But, there's something about it that's cool. Of course, the setting and 29 acres of MYOB space helps. It's been there for 100 years, and looks to still be in decent nick. Declutter it, enjoy the vintage feel, and of course 29 acres. Not everyone's cup of tea I am sure, but regardless, it's fun to look at out of state properties (especially in a state like Tenn.).

Comments

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,381 ***** Forums Admin
    Looks pretty grand to me!
  • Options
    love2shootlove2shoot Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,667 ******
    That is Beautiful! Especially the second and third story deer stands.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,667 ******
    I just noticed the trout stream in the back yard. Paradise!
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    gotta wonder who delivered it 100 years ago, sears or the post office?  either one would have been a real job back then, gotta figure the roads were just dirt paths.........
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Nice. Thanks for posting. (I live in Mtn. City,TN.) Not too far from Boone, NC. Beautiful area.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    Had a lady knock on our door quite a few years ago. 
    She was doing a book on Sears homes and believed ours to be one. 
    We let her take some pics but never heard back from her. 
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    That is a beautiful house.
    The house still stands, and I still have a 94-piece 3/8 drive Craftsman socket set made in America.  But, Sears is gone.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    hillbille said:
    gotta wonder who delivered it 100 years ago, sears or the post office?  either one would have been a real job back then, gotta figure the roads were just dirt paths.........
    Sears delivered it by train to the nearest train station. It was your responsibility to get it to the building site. 
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,379 ******
    There are probably about a half dozen Sears kit houses here in my hometown of Traverse City Michigan. Most were bought and constructed in the 40's.  All were pictured a few months back on facebook and all were bungalow type, covered front porch, second story with front dormer.  Still nice solid homes to this day and are now selling in the 300K+ price range on small in town sized lots.  
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, there is a hardbacked reprint of the 1926 Sears House catalog out there (check your library).  The floor plans are an indicator.  Each piece of wood was precut and marked with a number on the end of the piece- THAT is the real measure used to verify one as a Sears house- you could build one without a saw.  

Those houses came close to bankrupting Sears- if you owned land, Sears would finance for you- no money down.  Along came the Depression- suddenly Sears owned a bunch of foreclosed houses- and nobody was buying.  
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭
    I have to wonder if having everything pre-cut really saved time. I mean, you have to sort it out and figure where it goes. When you cut it on site, you already know where it goes.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,979 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭

Nice!!!

What's next?
  • Options
    notnow said:
    I have to wonder if having everything pre-cut really saved time. I mean, you have to sort it out and figure where it goes. When you cut it on site, you already know where it goes.
    Each piece was labeled. 
  • Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭✭
    That is really nice. Every few years I look through a 1929 Sears catalog I found in a house we were tearing down back in the early '60s. Extensive guns, ammo and similar supplies. They even bought hides; their hide buyer was called Johnny Muskrat! There is about every thing available at that time in the catalog. 
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭
     amazing how sears was on top the world ( sorta speak ) on mail ordering back in the day 
    I was always amazed they did not transfer well into the internet sales ( poor management decisions ? ) 
     looking back at at old catalogs is fun and some what amazing the items they sold . 

our house has about the same design 2 1/2 story roof line and lay out ..give or take a few features 
     I am envious of  that property , house  and sittings just a great place  .  I would feel content  and very happy  to live there 
  • Options
     amazing how sears was on top the world ( sorta speak ) on mail ordering back in the day 
    I was always amazed they did not transfer well into the internet sales ( poor management decisions ? ) 

That's an understatement. The stockholders should have tarred and feathered the top management of Sears and then they should be sitting in prison for mismanagement. Amazon would still just be a river in South America had they been doing their job. 
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭
    My first house was a kit built in the early 50's. Older neighbors said the sections came in on several trucks. The floor joists were in 4' x 12' sections & the wall studs 8' x 8'. When I pulled off some drywall, the top corners were marked AA,BB, etc. It was very square. The alm. window frames were attached directly to the studs. Just a little 1000 SF ranch; nothing like the one here.