In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

We talked about up how much are ya down?

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
Looks like the market correction we have all been saying had to happen may actually be setting in now
Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess I look at the market different than most. I have exactly the same number of shares as I had a week ago. Since I had and have no plans to sell any stock, I don't look at it as being a loss at this point. Only if I sold off would I have a loss and only a fool sells low and then buys back in when the price goes up. Bob
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,131 ✭✭✭✭
    Spot on, Bob.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭
    trust me bloomy had his assets out in seconds while the rest of us had to wait a day and a half to trade that is if he didn't turn of the access 
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Down around 3% right now from last week.  Have two target retirement funds that fared the worst.  

Started pulling index-based money out when the Dow hit 28,000 on the way up and was completely out of the index-based funds by the time it hit 29,000.  It has been sitting in a MM Fund that pays 1.5% awaiting this unfortunate event, and is being moved to ready cash today to jump back in tomorrow and next week.

Have gotten very conservative now that I'm in semi-retirement.  I was kicking myself a bit as the markets kept raising, but not so much today.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    -375 so far today. Got out of the stock market yrs. ago. Made more money doing property . No risk.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Funny I have a target retirement fund dated 2020 and you would think it would be the most conservative rock solid but it was down a few points too. My TIPS were up enough to offset it though.
    Down around 3% right now from last week.  Have two target retirement funds that fared the worst.  

Started pulling index-based money out when the Dow hit 28,000 on the way up and was completely out of the index-based funds by the time it hit 29,000.  It has been sitting in a MM Fund that pays 1.5% awaiting this unfortunate event, and is being moved to ready cash today to jump back in tomorrow and next week.

Have gotten very conservative now that I'm in semi-retirement.  I was kicking myself a bit as the markets kept raising, but not so much today.

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭

I haven’t looked but the little line only matters if you’re selling.

I am probably getting my * waxed on one fund as it is international technology and for 3 or 4 years now it has been giving 20-30% crazy returns.

Im guessing I have too much in there right now.

mogley98 said:
    Funny I have a target retirement fund dated 2020 and you would think it would be the most conservative rock solid but it was down a few points too. My TIPS were up enough to offset it though.

Looked at TIPS a while ago, and figured the market would make the adjustment in a more positive manner than relying on a statistical increase.  It has worked out because inflation has been so low over the past 10 years.  Still have a few treasuries that are paying above 6%, and their value were I to sell them, is well above what they would have been had they been purchased as TIPS.

Brad Steele
  • chmechme Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭
    Smart friend once told me "Bears make money.  Bulls make money.  Piggies get slaughtered,  Don't be a piggy."
    Retirement funds about half annuities, 25% stocks, 25% bonds.  Portfolio is off about 0.75% this morning.  I don't change funds daily, weekly or monthly.  I also don't worry about it.  
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    who cares, div's keep comming, stock market has only 2 rules
    #1 stock market ALWAYS goes up
    #2 when stock market goes down...........seee #1
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    News said - 10% this week
    Wading back in.  Going to see what a dollar cost averaging approach over the next couple of weeks does.

It is impossible that things will get any worse. :/

Brad Steele