In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭
      Had four or five in the day and no complaints. My 2nd car was a 1964. Trouble free vehicle.
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    In I think 1973 I had a red 1968 SS 427 Impala with a 3.73 rear end and a M21 four speed. I ran that car hard and it was a sweet ride that I would love to own today. I remember revving that big block up and side stepping the clutch. She would try to go sideways and the posi would catch up and away we went. Remember sliding under and dropping the Thursh mufflers off the Hooker headers and street racing all night. It is a wonder I didn't get into serious trouble  with that car and a few others. Not to mention the motorcycles. I guess God does keep an eye on fools.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,240 ✭✭✭✭
    I graduated from high school in 1968.  My girlfriend had a '63 Impala.  I have some great memories of that big back seat.
    Beautiful car.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    My first "I bought and paid for it car" was a 1960 Impala that I bought in 1963 when I started college. When it left the factory it was a 348 tri-power, but the original owner blew up that engine. When I bought it, it had a 283 bored out to a 292 with a 4-barrel carburetor. For a big old heavy car, it was pretty quick. In 1966 I sold it and bought a 1966 SS396 Chevelle.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭

My folks had a beautiful 1967 Impala with a 396 engine. Would love to have that. I have a friend who owns a nice 1964 Impala.

• Options
    kannoneerkannoneer Member Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭✭
    My uncle was about 40 years old and single when he bought a brand new '64 fire engine red hardtop with a 409 cu/400 hp motor with a 4 on the floor. I really liked the sound of that motor and the way it mashed you into the seat when you floored it. Within 2 years he was married and sold it. 
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭
    They were good reliable cars until 68. After that, the government started telling them how to build them.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    The '63 Chevy Impala Z11 Lightweight with the 427/430hp V8 with dual 4bbl carbs, 4 speed trans and 4.11 posi rear end with aluminum inner fenders and front end was a beast from the factory. There were only about 50 of them made. I guess you had to be a factory sponsored racer to get one. They made good reading material for teenagers with their Hot Rod Magazines. 

• Options
    Piranha451Piranha451 Member Posts: 17
    edited February 2020
    My first car was a 4-door 1969 Impala given to me by an uncle in 1977.  It had a 327 2-bbl with a Powerglide transmission.  It was fun on the highway to be doing 55 mph then floor it.  The tranny would drop down into first gear and pull hard until it wound out between 70-80 mph and go into second and keep pulling!
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭
    They have not been real Impalas for several years.I remember how disappointed we were at the return of the Malibu a few years ago.
  • Options
    TcattTcatt Member Posts: 342 ✭✭
    Had a buddy in high school that had a 63; we use to pack the trunk with friends and sneak into the drive-in; the rear of the car must have been dragging the ground. I remember thinking I would suffocate trying not to laugh out loud when we when through the pay booth.
    He and I drove it to Texas to visit a University that I had an interest in playing football, what a time we had, brought back a trunk full of COORS cause you could not buy it east of the Mississippi River in those days.

• Options
    mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
    My Dad found a 66 Impala SS  327 2 dr convertible w/AC for my first car. 
    He was a car guy.  He knew the value of a chick magnet.  

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Bought my Grampa's 66 Impala 2 door for my first car.  I still retain the original bill of sale from the dealership. The car is long gone but the memories will live forever.