In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Second day with hearing aids!

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
Going pretty good towards the end of day two.  I think the most important thing is that I don't realize I am wearing them 95% of the time.  I'm hearing high pitch tones I had pretty much forgot about.  I am hearing the bird songs in my backyard way better so I'm happy so far.
Those of you who have already went down this road what should I be watching for??

Comments

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

What??...................................................................

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,177 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
     don't forget to take em out before you shower, I know this from experience.........  only thing is you don't have an excuse now for not doing what the wife tells you to

mine are the resound brand from the VA, I also have a box for the TV, it sends the volume directly to the hearing aids, this is nice for late nights when I can't sleep, I can turn the volume on the TV off and use the box, it doesn't bother the wife
  • Options
    FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭✭

From my short time with mine:

1. Careful about getting into the shower without remembering to take them out. I did that, but luckily remembered before I put my head under the water.

2. Always store them in the SAME place. Make it a routine, and stick to it. Otherwise, they’ll be misplaced in no time.

3. Don’t shoot with them in. Haha!  I actually didn’t make that mistake, but it can’t be good.

4. Don’t forget to turn them off. On mine, you have to open the battery compartment. Batteries last a long time, but if you leave it overnight, they’ll go quickly.

5. If you’re connecting to Bluetooth, you might only see one of the hearing aids show up on your phone. It’s okay, though, because they talk to each other, so both will be connected. For mine, only the right shows up on the phone.

I have only had mine about 3 weeks. Phonak Marvels is the Make/Model I got. They definitely seem to help. I hear things that I had forgotten about since my injury. I really like the fact that they have Bluetooth, so I can control all the settings via phone app, and can listen to music, make phone calls, and everything all through the hearing aids. Pretty handy. It’s funny, though. I don’t find it the same as listening to music through music headphones. With those, I can tell the direction of the music/sound. With the hearing aids, it’s like the music is IN my brain. Hard to describe, but a strange experience.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Take them out when around the Wife.  Most likely the reason I have stayed married as long as I have.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,196 ✭✭✭✭
    One year in for me. Also have Resounds from the VA. Over the next few weeks, those "WHOA!" experiences will diminish, and your new hearing will be normal. (Have you peed with them and been shocked at the volume of sound? Race horse, bro!)
    Oddly, I seem to produce less earwax now. My tips and wax guards only need to be changed twice a month. I do that on the first and 15th to remember it. Some people make more wax with them, so check them and replace the tips when needed. Once a week or so, I give myself a day off from them - usually when my wife is going to be gone and I'm alone in the house.
    Above all, wear them. It will seem weird, and it will take a while to allow your brain to "recalibrate" to them, but that will happen.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭
    Take them out when you're working in the yard. Besides the moisture from sweating, they're a bugger to find if they fall out. At night, keep them in a container with descant to absorb any moisture.