In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rossi Mod. 92, lever action rifle 38 special/357 mag. question

asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
So I just picked this from my local FFL guy.  Got it home and noticed that on the right side of the receiver just above and to the foreword side of the round insertion slot is a small hole?!  Is a screw missing here or what?  Thanks

Comments

• HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    That's an access hole for a punch to drive out the lever/breech bolt pin..On the left side there is a corresponding threaded plug screw that must first be removed..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OraqUbTNTZ8

• dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have a fairly new made 92 (with that silly safety up top) and an older Interarms made one with a traditional bolt.  On each that darn pin took some pretty solid whacks to move out.  Adding to the challenge - the pin is a bit of a challenge to spot, the bolt must be fully forward for it to line up with the corresponding holes in the receiver.  A strong ejector spring makes holding the bolt fully forward (to line it up) difficult.  One hand to hold the bolt forward in the receiver, one hand to hold the punch and one hand to swing the hammer .... :)
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    Appreciate the info.  One would think there would have even a screw or plug or some sort!
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    The treads in the hole would get banged up by the disassembly punch.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    When or why would it be required to remove this lever/breach bolt pin?  
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    "When or why would it be required to remove this lever/breach bolt pin?  " for any dis-assembly or cleaning, to remove the bolt and lever
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I'll suggest you go to Stevesgunz.com and buy a DVD on the Rossi...he also sells metal magazine followers to replace the plastic ones, new springs, safety replacement plugs for newer models, etc.  Steves is by far the best resource for these guns out there (I have two Rossi's, a .357 and a .45 Colt)

Stay safe.